PDA

View Full Version : Sound system for club - using laptop!

R.M.
04-08-2010, 07:47 PM
A number of our members have difficulty hearing the speakers...

Another member came here last night to see if we could do something. I have a lappy with OS-Windows 7 Home Premium. With his system (speakers and mike with ?something - a box with mike and presumably some other electronics) we could see 'sound in' on the 'puter (bars going up and down with intensity of speech), but couldn't get sound out of the speakers.

He tells me he can run this on his Mac - so 'What's wrong with your PC!'

Ideas? Suggestions would be welcome. :)

8ftmetalhaed
04-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Depends, what's the rest of the setup? Are you using a USB audio interface or something?

R.M.
04-08-2010, 07:57 PM
Yes - I knew I'd get asked things I can't answer! :(

BTW - my lappy is a Toshiba L300-900.

I'll have to ring him and get some answers...

nmercer
04-08-2010, 08:01 PM
take a step back and explain what you are trying to achieve

that would be helpful

R.M.
04-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Yes - he's out of course when I ring.

We want to get the speaker to use a lapel mike and for the sound of their voice to come through the laptop and to the loudspeakers in the room (so we can hear what is being said).

I can achieve that with slideshow presentations/music from the laptop. It is just now a matter of capturing the speaker's voice and channeling it through the system to the speakers. (Sounds simple, doesn't it?) :blush:

R.M.
04-08-2010, 08:31 PM
This is what we are trying to use... Loudspeakers, then lapel mike. And of course you can't see the speakers on the wall in the room - which we will access through the laptop. There are upwards of 50 people in the rooom.

8ftmetalhaed
04-08-2010, 08:37 PM
It sort of depends on how you've got your pc setup.
A usb interface will generally require a program such as audacity, pro tools LE or garage band to make use of it, and even then will need to be set up in a particular way to output audio as it captures it. With macs being what they are, they might be better suited to getting this done if you don't have the technical knowhow.

If it's a simple input to output thing, then you should be able to link it up to your stereo just by plugging the right things in, IE Mic - PC line in/mic in, or Mic - interface - interface's headphone/line output, stereo/speaker system's line input.

8ftmetalhaed
04-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Ok if it's a wireless clip mic then it should have a lineout on it somewhere. You can plug that in to your pc's line input, then the headphone/lineout of your pc to the amplifier/ stereo.

R.M.
04-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Yes, that's what I thought. Will have to do some more fiddling when I haven't got time constraints on me (as I did last night). Thanks. :)

Just a thought - line input on a laptop? Can do that on my desktop - not so sure about the lappy. :(

wainuitech
04-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Something may be turned off or disabled as well.

Try this -- Click on start, go into the control Panel, SOUNDS - right click a empty part of the window, put ticks in "show disabled devices", "Show Disconnected devices"

What if any other devices will show up under Playback / Recording ?? IF the Mic is working correctly when its plugged in it will be a solid colour, if its grayed out Like some of these (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Sounds.jpg) then its not working/connected correctly.

For ages I couldn't get the stereo mix to work so I could record audio from a web site if required -- Had to download the latest drivers then one day :banana it suddenly appeared and every thing works on the new Sound options (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Options1280907865.jpg) .

R.M.
06-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Thanks for all the comments. The problem was 'His' gear - 'he' got it fixed and the trial worked a treat last night!

Next we have to convince the committee to spend just a little money on buying gear for a permanent solution (and persuade the speakers it is in the club's interests to use the mikes!). :)

PS Wainui - I went a whole year without sound because I had the jack put in the wrong hole..... :(

8ftmetalhaed
06-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Happens to the best of us.

Snorkbox
06-08-2010, 11:11 AM
I remember trying to get sound working on a PC once. I spent about an hour checking out this guys PC before I thought to look and see if the speakers were plugged in.

nedkelly
06-08-2010, 11:16 AM
I think we have all had to fix the same problem, and its the last thing we check. Because most of the time the client says "it was working just recently" so we rule out the connection.

linw
06-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Yep, making assumptions gets us in trouble often!

I was away for a few days so turned my normally on speakers off then wondered why there was no sound when I turned my system back on - duh.