PDA

View Full Version : Malaysia car scam?

gradebdan
03-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Hi, I am selling my car on Trade Me. I have received a text from someone in Malaysia interested in buying it. They would then ship the car to Malaysia.
I can vaguely remember something on Fair Go about overseas buyers and Cars.
Can anyone enlighten me?
I have emailed Fair go and await their comments.

wratterus
03-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Well if you see the money before the car goes, and it doens't cost you anything it can't be a scam...

however someone in Malaysia buying a car from NZ, does sound rather far fetched.

kahawai chaser
03-08-2010, 06:01 PM
I have heard of Pacific Islanders and I think Iranians (diesel), from car wreckers industry buying NZ cars to ship back to the Islands and Iran in containers. But Malaysians? Won't their cars be quite cheap?

gradebdan
03-08-2010, 06:03 PM
The next step will be to ask for my bank account details. Is there anyway they can then extract funds from my account?

PaulD
03-08-2010, 06:03 PM
My 1st thought is that if they are prepared to buy it and ship to Malaysia then you won't be getting much for it. Whether that's going to be price or some other cunning plan is the question. Unless the car is something special of course.

gradebdan
03-08-2010, 06:07 PM
The car is bog standard 2004 Accord v6. The person said that cars in Malaysia are very expensive.

bevy121
03-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Here's the article about it

Fri, 21 May 2010 5:57p.m.

By Simon Shepherd

People selling their cars online are being warned about a new scam that appears to be based in Malaysia.

As soon as the car is listed you get an offer that is too good to refuse, but you should.

As soon as Mandy Hall listed her Mitsubishi on a TradeMe classified she got a bite.

“The next day I got a text from a random number with weird country code asking me to email them I did,” explains Ms Hall.

So started the negotiations with a "Kelly Rose" from Malaysia who said she was "presently on business trip and could not come over to check it out". But "I am please with the price".

The price was $5000 and "Kelly Rose" wanted to ship the car to Malaysia.

She said she had put the money plus $2000 in shipping fees into the secure internet payment service Paypal.

“From the beginning I was a little bit suspicious,” says Ms Hall. “I thought why would someone from Malaysia want to buy a car in New Zealand.”

This is where the scam becomes clear.

Mandy received an email supposedly from Paypal saying it has the money for her car, plus the extra shipping fees.

But it would not release it until she paid $2000 of shipping fees up front via Western Union money transfer.

TradeMe says if Ms Hall had done that, the money would be gone.

“If you are sending money over Western Union to someone that you don’t know as a result of an internet auction site, it is highly likely that it is a scam and you should not do it,” says Chris Budget of TradeMe.

However, the scammers are persistent - even threatening to report you to the authorities if you don't pay up.

“I called Paypal. They said no that’s not us and said could I send it to their fraud department, so I did that,” explains Ms Hall.

3 News tried to ring "Kelly Rose" in Malaysia. Unsurprisingly, no one answered.

Meanwhile, Ms Hall has re-listed her car. But this time, local buyers only please.

and here's the tv3 report last week (http://www.3news.co.nz/New-scam-targets-car-sellers-online/tabid/311/articleID/156984/Default.aspx)

gradebdan
03-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Thanks very much all. I shall ask the buyer to send cash in a brown paper bag.

John H
03-08-2010, 06:27 PM
My son in law (who lives in Oz) has been trying to sell his guitar on ebay Australia. He got the same sort of PayPal scam as part of an offer for the guitar for $Oz1000 more than he was looking for.

He thought it was odd and contacted PayPal who told him it was a scam.

My son in law has since had several almost threatening emails from the 'buyer' demanding he go through with the sale, even though my son in law had emailed the 'buyer' to tell him to naff off. The buyer is a persistent little sucker.

I don't know the country of origin stated by the 'buyer', but it wasn't Australia.

Renmoo
03-08-2010, 06:38 PM
I have heard of Pacific Islanders and I think Iranians (diesel), from car wreckers industry buying NZ cars to ship back to the Islands and Iran in containers. But Malaysians? Won't their cars be quite cheap?
Cars are way cheaper in New Zealand compared to Malaysia, for the record.

tweak'e
03-08-2010, 08:31 PM
guys in OZ are being hit by the same setup. one was a person from the UK was trying to buy a cheap car. the shipping cost would have been double the price of the car LOL.