PDA

View Full Version : Heads up anyone who uses PayPal or HSBC banking

Agent_24
03-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Have got quite a few phishing scam emails lately pretending to be from PayPal or HSBC.

They contain a URL which is quite clearly fake, but it would be wise to double-check any emails from these companies (or more) before you go clicking anything.

johcar
03-08-2010, 12:42 PM
I get them quite a bit - mainly the Paypal ones, and usually to an email address that has no association to the Paypal account I have.

My SOP for any email with a link in it is to place the cursor over the link before even thinking about clicking it. The hover-text that displays is a dead giveaway that it's not legit, because it won't display a web address that corresponds to the text in the link itself.

Then the big delete button gets used.

Cellux
03-08-2010, 12:43 PM
We've had a lot of people coming in asking about suspicious Paypal messages over the past couple of weeks.

Nomad
03-08-2010, 01:06 PM
don't use hsbc now cos they now charge people $15/mo for admin fee.

the only adv i see with them is that it is a all you can use transaction account which many banks provide free of charge, but hsbc generates interest without you needing to transfer to a savings account.

never had any of those emails when i was a client thou.
i have paypal, not had those either ..

pctek
03-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Have got quite a few phishing scam emails lately pretending to be from PayPal or HSBC.

They sent me millions of your account is going to be terminated messages. Funny as I don't have an account.

Then I got the last chance one.

Then the sad too late, it's terminated one.