PDA

View Full Version : Hotmail Account sending out spam email to contacts I do not know

vims213
03-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Hey guys,

Over the last few weeks, I've been receiving emails from postmaster regarding failed delivery of emails to random contacts I do not know.

I checked my sent emails and there are a list of emails showing that I have not sent. Do these contacts know that I have been sending these emails.

I don't want to change email address as I have been using it for a long time and all websites such as facebook, youtube, forums are linked to that email account.

Is there anything I can do to solve this problem without changing email address?

Thanks

Battleneter2
03-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Your email address is probably getting spoofed, in other words spam is getting sent pretending its your email address, but the remote email severs send a reply back to "your" real email.

Hotmail is a crap spam infested email service, I would change and save yourself hassle over the long run, suggest Gmail.

Morgenmuffel
03-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Your email address is probably getting spoofed, in other words spam is getting sent pretending its your email address, but the remote email severs send a reply back to "your" real email.

Spoofing is common and theres nothing you can do about it, HOWEVER there shouldn't be emails showing in his "sent mail" that he hasn't sent, spoofing doesn't do that

How are you using hotmail is you are using it via your webbrowser
scan your computer with a virus scanner and something like malwarebytes and then change your password

If you are using it via you email program, outlook etc and the emails you haven't sent are showing in your sent items folder then the problem is probably on your computer,

Disable system restore
So do a virus scan
run something like malware bytes
Change your password for hotmail (infact change all your passwords)

ronyville
03-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Spoofing is common and theres nothing you can do about it, HOWEVER there shouldn't be emails showing in his "sent mail" that he hasn't sent, spoofing doesn't do that

X2, seems like your pc is infected. Do as Morgenmuffel suggested, virus and malware scans.

Lurking
03-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Hi my wife's pc W7 using Hotmail was forwarding emails toooo.

Daughter told her to lengthen her Password, which she did and this seems to have fixed the problem.

Lurking.

Agent_24
03-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Yeah spoofing your email as the sender wouldn't make the emails show up in your sent items.

Either your PC is infected with a virus, or someone has stolen your hotmail account password.

vims213
03-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

I remember my sister sending me an email which I opened. The email contained a link for a "Free iPhone" but I didn't click on that link.

I'll change my password and see if that works.

If not, I might switch to Gmail or create a new hotmail address.

Agent_24
03-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Change your password(s) on a computer which you know is clean (boot a Live Linux CD on yours would work) and make sure you do a good clean of your computer.

Disable system restore
So do a virus scan
run something like malware bytes

I would suggest adding Spybot Search and Destroy to that as well, you could also run online scans such as Trend Micro's housecall, and Nod32 online scan etc.

Morgenmuffel
04-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the help guys.

I'll change my password and see if that works.

If not, I might switch to Gmail or create a new hotmail address.

Theres nothing wrong with hotmail, in fact i get less spam on my hotmail account than my gmail account.

Having said that make you scan your machine first, because if theres akeylogger or something on there changing your password is a waste of time