PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP 2002 Home Edition Service

dianne pierce
02-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Pack 3 448 Ram. Don't know what is happening so will have to try and explain. Turned on pc at the tower.Screen showed Windows XP and slowly loaded until it came to a blue plain page then stopped. Prior to that shortcut icons on desktop wouldn't respond so thats why I turned it off. Second time I turned the pc off then back on a message came up "one of your disks need to be checked, then pc restarted and got to the plain blue page. After approximately 3 minutes desktop icons appeared. Started my virus scan and it picked up 3 infections and 2 tracking cookies, click repair and they were done. Scan is still running as I am writing this. Prior to all this trouble today outlook express always hangs for ages when I click to open. I have run ,malwarebytes, cc cleaner and hi jack this. What more can I do?

kahawai chaser
02-08-2010, 11:34 PM
If the pc is slow on start up, maybe disable startup programs that may not be required. Click start -run - type msconfig - ok - then click on startup tab. Then disable unneeded programs. You may have to research a bit (i.e. Google Search) on the program names that you are not familiar with. I recently disabled a few on my PC which sped up boot up a bit.

You may want to also run spybot and SuperAntiSpyware and also Microsoft Security Essentials (There is one for XP).

dianne pierce
02-08-2010, 11:45 PM
I have only 3 things loading at start up pcts tray, ctfmon and wmpnscfg

kahawai chaser
03-08-2010, 12:00 AM
Is that all? PC needs at least a firewall and anti-virus loading on startup for constant resident protection. You should download and install something like Avast 5 (or MSE for XP), and a firewall...

zqwerty
03-08-2010, 12:06 AM
You are probably running as a user without admin privileges if you can only see a few services etc in Task Manager.

feersumendjinn
03-08-2010, 12:11 AM
And do a HijackThis scan, and copy/paste the resultant log file into your next post. We'll see if you've got any malware and advise what to do next.
http://majorgeeks.com/Trend_Micro_HijackThis_d5554.html

Speedy Gonzales
03-08-2010, 12:12 AM
Well I wouldnt run an AV program and firewall, with less than 512 mb. Thats probably why Dianne didnt put either on it

dianne pierce
03-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Question please - my pc is unstable. If I reset it to the orginal factory settings do all my software programmes still remain. I thought I would transfer all my photgraphs and other things onto my usb pen drive before I do this

Speedy Gonzales
03-08-2010, 01:17 PM
If you use the restore cd/partition whatever it is, it'll probably remove all the programs you installed (or whatever wasnt it on it originally)