PDA

View Full Version : How to get an old Windows system to connect to the internet?!

stuffed
02-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Am almost embarrassed asking this but have a old DVR that want to sell and would like to update the Windows OS that runs behind the software. It is not Windows 3.1, 95 or even 98 but 2000 Pro!!
Have managed to get it connected ok to my home LAN but how can I get it to connect to the internet?!!
Speedy - are you that old................?!
Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
02-08-2010, 03:36 PM
I've got 2000 but its not installed. You'll be lucky if it picks up anything in windowsupdate. Since 2k is no longer supported (support ended 13th July this year). Go into its properties (under TCP/IP) and give it an ip and put in your ISP's DNS servers

To make things easier you'll need SP4, Nlite, and a program called RyanVM Integrator, and the final 2000 update from here (http://voidseesaw.com/onepiece/). 123 MB

Only thing is, you'll probably need a working version of 2000 to slipstream it. Then it'll be up to date

stuffed
02-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Thanks Speedy - think will let the lucky new owner handle that!
Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
02-08-2010, 04:00 PM
No probs. Altho the programs I mentioned you have to create an ISO after then burn it then install Windows from it. So, you'll have to format / do a clean install

It wont install the updates (in the file on that site), from within windows (if its already installed)

PENTIUM
02-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Microsoft put out a C D update a few years back, it had a green label, if you can get a copy of it, or some one is sure to have it available on line.

Speedy Gonzales
02-08-2010, 04:04 PM
And what about the rest of the updates, up to 13th July this year??

nmercer
02-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Windows 2000 can get onto the internet and Windows Update just fine

exactly what isn't working?

Is it getting a DHCP ip address like the rest of your machines on homelan?

can you go start, run, cmd
ping www.idg.co.nz

and get an answer?

Nomad
02-08-2010, 05:38 PM
we have win2k now .. when we did reinstalls or reimages, we never had issues. with the default settings and install the network card drivers, plug the cable into the router and it goes online ..... couldn't be easier. i don't need to configre anything .. it goes online within 2 mins after installing windows 2000. it's quicker than setting up dial up...

for wireless, we install SP4 - downloadable manually. install the wifi card drivers. and it works....

we always use auto IP.

pctek
03-08-2010, 08:08 AM
It is not Windows 3.1, 95 or even 98 but 2000 Pro!!

Well Win3 or even 95 is old, 2000 isn't that old........

stuffed
24-08-2010, 04:23 PM
Am now going to have another crack at this!
Am at the Internet Connection Wizard it is asking for the proxy to use what do I put in there?
Also Port - ?
Thanks

SolMiester
24-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Am now going to have another crack at this!
Am at the Internet Connection Wizard it is asking for the proxy to use what do I put in there?
Also Port - ?
Thanks

Cancel the wizard!....do you have a network cable plugged in? What provides the internet?, a router?, it should get all IP settings from the router!

stuffed
25-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Have the network cable direct into a router. Now what?!
Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
25-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Even if you use the wizard just select connect to the net by lan. Forget the proxy, you don't need one

Altho, I think it comes with IE 5, you'll have to update it to 6+ before it'll let you use the windowsupdate site

SolMiester
25-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Have the network cable direct into a router. Now what?!
Thanks

If you bring up a dos command box and type ipconfig /all, this should show you the IP addressing provided by the router.....It will show the gateway to the internet thru the router...that is all you need. Under internet options and connections, simply select LAN!