PDA

View Full Version : Hide a wordpress page based on URL

Chilling_Silence
02-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Hi guys,

My father has an enthusiast website we've redesigned in Wordpress.
Right now he has a contact page on it, so people can get in touch with him.

What we're wanting to do is mirror that website with another URL, but remove the "contact" page automatically from the menu so that he cannot be contacted. It's basically a requirement of TradeMe's if he's going to link to it from any of his auctions.

Silly I know, but still ...

So, is there any easy way for us to remove a page from the navigation, based on the URL that is used for somebody to visit his website?
e.g.
www.mywebsite.com shows everything
www.trademe-mywebsite.com shows everything except for the contact page.

Perhaps some form of Wordpress plugin?

Thanks

Chill.

Morgenmuffel
02-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Is the second site going to be hosted separately, if so you could just apply a class to the contact page link and set it as :hidden (I'm guessing I am sure someone more intelligent than me could explain this)

Is wordpress php powered?

I am guessing here, but you should be able to set something based on the url of the site http-server result and use that to include a css file that hides the contact link if the site url matches the trademe link

sorry been debugging all night and bottling beer this morning so brain is jelly

inphinity
02-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Only way I can see is using php or asp or similar to generate the navigation with a boolean check to see what the current URL is. Not very familiar with Wordpress to know how you'd integrate with it, though.

Chilling_Silence
02-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Yeah Wordpress is based on PHP.

It's hosted with Dreamhost, ideally we want to be able to symlink the appropriate directories at the filesystem level so that the one website works for both URLs, as they're both hosted under the same User account.

I'm all ears for trying things :D

kahawai chaser
02-08-2010, 02:03 PM
If I'm reading right, it seems you would end up with two very similar sites/blogs. If so, then you may have to address canonical issues which is to do with two similar URLs. Mainly this is to please Google bot, so it knows what would be the authoritative/preferred/original site to index for search engines visitors (If such visitors are important to you - which I assume it would be). This may involve the canonical tag/or robot which is mentioned a lot by Google (Matt Cutts their chief engineer). Plenty of online video and tutorials. But also need to consider duplication content, which is not really favored by Google. Perhaps use Google Webmaster tools (if not already) to run url diagnostics - which has been enhanced a bit lately.

About Canonical URL's (http://ask.enquiro.com/2009/what-is-a-canonical-url/)

Chilling_Silence
02-08-2010, 02:17 PM
Yeah AFAIK there are plugins for Wordpress which help with canonical URLs. It's something we'll tackle after we've got it actually *working* :D

Thanks for the link though, good read.

angry
02-08-2010, 11:32 PM
your creating duplicate sites to satisfy ScamMe (TradeMe), google will not like this, at all.

Google will down rate you.

if you cross link all the pages except the contacts and any thing else not wanted on the duplicate, the site will be slow and the band with consumed by both sites will increase.

better to copy just the pages required to another site host just for scame, and slightly change the details of the old site.

or

use some form of membership login to restrict acess to the contact details and any think else you dont want ScamMe and ScamMe directed brousers to access.

kahawai chaser
02-08-2010, 11:54 PM
What some niche bloggers/publishers do, is create a simple promo site (often from blogs/sites that have not really converted - i.e. made money) using a simple free platform like Blogger, Google Sites, or some basic free web host package. Maybe link a promo site to Trademe (without contact details), then link promo site to your main site.

Some USA Companies create a simple blog with brief current posts, about their company services/products website, then link their blog to their main site. They might promote/submit/link their blog in directories, forums, social media, auctions, etc.

angry
03-08-2010, 12:12 AM
What some niche bloggers/publishers do, is create a simple promo site (often from blogs/sites that have not really converted - i.e. made money) using a simple free platform like Blogger, Google Sites, or some basic free web host package. Maybe link a promo site to Trademe (without contact details), then link promo site to your main site.

Some USA Companies create a simple blog with brief current posts, about their company services/products website, then link their blog to their main site. They might promote/submit/link their blog in directories, forums, social media, auctions, etc.

yes

1 but, ScamMe will be very negative about the cross site link, if they pick it up.

Which they may not do if it is not there at the begining when they do their primary inspection.:)

As their annalisys of reports from their recheck/reinspector bots, is not that hot.

kahawai chaser
03-08-2010, 12:15 AM
your creating duplicate sites to satisfy ScamMe (TradeMe), google will not like this, at all.

Google will down rate you.

if you cross link all the pages except the contacts and any thing else not wanted on the duplicate, the site will be slow and the band with consumed by both sites will increase.

better to copy just the pages required to another site host just for scame, and slightly change the details of the old site.

or

use some form of membership login to restrict acess to the contact details and any think else you dont want ScamMe and ScamMe directed brousers to access.

True about duplicate content, many of my popular posts have been scraped, blatantly copied, quoted, to other sites and blogs (and languages), but Google eventually will bury them (or de-index/sandbox from database) making it very remote for searchers to ever find them.

Chilling_Silence
03-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Bandwidth and the likes is a non-issue, and if we symlink then it's taking up zero HDD space. That won't slow down the load time or anything else like that either.

We don't want to copy, because the site changes regularly, like on a bi-daily basis.

Basically, if he's going to link to his site on TradeMe, he's not allowed to have any other links to his "main site", or any form of contact details that could allow the customer to get around paying the TradeMe Tax. Nevermind the fact customers can go and Google for his other site, but yeah ...

Not so much interested in the why or why not I should do it, just wanting to *do* it .... ;)