PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 9.10 Splash Screen

ipod
01-08-2010, 04:10 PM
I am currently running ubuntu 9.10 and i want to change the splash screen from the brown spotlight picture to a custom picture.
I went to the website http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1333683%5C.html and it said that i have to enter the following code into the terminal

to Divert the file

"sudo dpkg-divert --local --rename --add /usr/share/images/xsplash/bg_2560x1600.jpg"

to replace the file

"sudo cp /usr/share/backgrounds/TheRainbowisDead.jpg /usr/share/images/xsplash/bg_2560x1600.jpg"

Because my file was located at "/home/ios/IOS_Files {DO NOT DELETE}/Xsplash/Background/bg_2560x1600.jpg" I replaced the /usr/share/backgrounds/TheRainbowisDead.jpg with my location.

But When i go into the terminal and enter the promps i get the following error message "cp: target `/usr/share/images/xsplash/bg_2560x1600.jpg' is not a directory".

Can Anybody help me here as the brown screen is getting really annoying

fred_fish
01-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Dunno why dpkg would need to be involved.
Just copy your desired pic over top of the existing splash screen one.
The error will be because of the space in the path.
cp with multiple arguments (separated by a space) is expecting a directory as a target.
try this:

cp /home/ios/IOS_Files\ {DO\ NOT\ DELETE}/Xsplash/Background/bg_2560x1600.jpg /wherever/bg.jpg

depending on what shell you are using you may also need to escape the '{' and '}' characters with a '\'.

Putting "..." around the whole path may also work.

ipod
02-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Thank you fred fish it worked. this is the code I put in terminal
sudo cp /home/ios/{IOS_Files{DONOTDELETE}/Xsplash/Background/bg_2560x1600.jpg usr/share/images/xsplash

then it said
[sudo] password for ios:

then it worked.