PDA

View Full Version : iPad

Bryden
01-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Any opinions on this new toy?:clap

Bryden
01-08-2010, 01:50 PM
If I wanted a device (other than my laptop) to read .pdf files etc. - any gadgets (other than the iPad) which I am not aware of? I don't want a tiny screen.... guess I should just use my laptop and get over it being a bit cumbersome.... sigh...

McRuff
01-08-2010, 02:10 PM
That is one question that is bound to start a flame war between the apple fan-boys and the anti-apple crowd.

My understanding is that the iPad is good for consuming (i.e looking at content). Not very useful if you want to create anything, even emails.

You also have to decide if you are willing to live in apples closed application system. Some people think it is an advantage, others hate it with a passion.

Driftwood
01-08-2010, 02:15 PM
They are a novelty item really. Not as many uses as a laptop but cost the same & even more than some. As a eBook reader they are a bit on the heavy side.
Depends what you want to use it for really, if you still want laptop functionality on a smaller scale then buy a smaller laptop.
However, saying all that, I will buy one when they come down in price. But thats just because I love new gadgets.

Nomad
01-08-2010, 02:56 PM
The Apple has the adv that it's wanted by the masses ....

I expect the iPad to be more successful than the non-Apple not b/c it is better but b/c of its trend. I think if you wanna search the web, look at videos and pix and type the personal (casual) email with the odd email to the employer .. the pads are fine ...

pctek
01-08-2010, 04:01 PM

http://www.pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=111475

CliveM
01-08-2010, 04:09 PM
I have one. Great toy ok for email and Internet. I am using it now. In no way do I consider it a tool for serious business use. My laptop is far more useful for work.(Laptop better for study research etc as well). iPad would also be easy for anyone who just needs an easy to use no hassle email come photo album with a minimum learning curve. I would recommend one for any older not particularly computer literate person that wants to keep in contact with kids/grandkids.

lakewoodlady
01-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Been talking to my daughter and son in law, both Apple geeks. They don't even want one, iphone does as much if not more. Both have kindles, imacs and macbooks and iphones. (IT people in their work in USA)

However, I wouldn't mind one if someone gave me one......

LL

Renmoo
01-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Despite being called "iPad", it doesn't do what the name implies.

Marketing gimmick at its nadir, that's my opinion.

gary67
01-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Why would I no Flash support, never will be and I would break it within 5 minutes by pulling it apart to see how it works. They really are a toy and should be on the shelves of Toyworld, I might however get an Android or windows one when they launch

Snorkbox
01-08-2010, 08:21 PM
I would rather have a Frisbee. Less expensive and more fun.

Nomad
01-08-2010, 11:26 PM
What do you expect from a PC forum, lol.

I just watched a electronics gadget documentary on Prime. Pretty much everyone knows what an iPhone is, the same cannot be said for other products.

Similarly people here trash a laptop and prefer a PC. Go onto a NZ news site and more people have a laptop.

The trend is mobility. Apartment living. NZ is quite laid back but there is a trend nonetheless that NZders move to the inner city to live. Singapore has 80% market penetration in mobile data for their internet.

McRuff
02-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Amazon ship kindles to NZ now. I understand they display pdf files and cost about $220 shipped to NZ for the Wifi only model

linw
02-08-2010, 05:15 PM
That's interesting about the Kindle. The new one looks good and better priced than the Kobo.

Interesting discussion on the ipad. I can see virtue in the 'pad' concept (had a play in Sydney) but my leaning is towards an Android one. Maybe not mature enough yet but I am put off with the ipad's no flash and no usb etc.

Bryden
08-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the comments.... how do you input to the iPad? My friend, who has one, has an Apple computer which I don't.... Personally I would prefer a Windows version as I am familiar with that system.... I don't want/need to work on it, more to read documents without having to nurse my laptop... sigh...

Bryden

Erayd
08-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the comments.... how do you input to the iPad?Via the touchscreen. My understanding is that you can also pair a bluetooth keyboard with it, but I'm not sure whether that is actually the case.

Personally I would prefer a Windows version as I am familiar with that system....Except that Windows in its current state doesn't have any sort of touch UI - you can use a touchscreen with it, but it's incredibly cumbersome. Almost all Windows software is also targeted at x86, which means that if you want to maintain compatibility a Windows-based tablet would be unable to use an ARM-based CPU, which means it'll eat the battery a whole lot faster.

...more to read documents without having to nurse my laptop... sigh...They're great for that, provided the format you want to read is supported. If not, then you're out of luck.

CliveM
08-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the comments.... how do you input to the iPad? My friend, who has one, has an Apple computer which I don't.... Personally I would prefer a Windows version as I am familiar with that system.... I don't want/need to work on it, more to read documents without having to nurse my laptop... sigh...

Bryden

Whenever input is required you touch the appropriate field and a virtual keyboard appears at the bottom of the screen. It will never replace a proper keyboard but works ok to input passwords or a short message( I am using it for this). In no way does an iPad replace a desktop PC but it does what it does very well.