PDA

View Full Version : Epic Failures

Cato
31-07-2010, 05:23 AM
So, being bored and all I decided to install Gnome Shell on Ubuntu 10.04 and give it a shot, to see what all that hype was about.
So I went in with great hope.

Things did not go as planned.

Apparently the apt doesn't like libgjs0 1.9.2.8 (current version, packing issue no fault of gnome here), so I say hey, let's build from source.
Yeah. Their server turned out to be slow as hell, I was downloading at under 10kb/s on a line that constantly gives me 1mb/s. That was a joke.

So I looked up and older version of libgjs0 and installed that. And we had it installed.

So lets get started with criticism:

#1 The task bar.
So yeah I've got a nice long task bar up the top as usual, but it only displays the name of the current app being run. What the hell is the point of that?
The clock is awkwardly in the middle of it. Why? What was wrong with being in the corner?

#2 Preferences.
Where the hell are they? I can't see anything under the "Activities" menu.
The Find function works well enough, so I tried to change time settings... How do you access the app?
Clicking on it does not work... No you have to drag it out to one of the workspaces. Why can't you just click the damn thing? What a joke.

[Woops, the Find function no longer works, I guess it's a one search pony.]

The proper way to access "Preferences" is to click on your name, (in the top right where the clock used to be).
Where is the logic in that?

#3 No speaker icon on the taskbar, how do I change the sound?

#4 No categorization of any sort.
Just lists ever app. Now, this is OK for me, I don't having hundreds of apps on my installation, but a typical distribution will install hundreds of apps for everything you could possibly think of.
So you have to scroll through everything to find what it is you are looking for, yeah it's what we do in Windows every day, but it will not work in Linux because of the number of apps and because of how linux users have been using linux for over the last decade.

[More to come in the next few hours + screenshots]

I simply hate it, GNOME has shot itself in the foot with this.
And while I understand that this is only an RC, but it's their entire logic and concepts were flawed.
No amount of refinement will make this practical or use-able for the majority of users.

GNOME is dead. RIP.

mikebartnz
31-07-2010, 02:19 PM
I won't loose any sleep when it dies but I can't see that happening any time soon.

The Error Guy
31-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Haha, This is similar to what I experienced. I am never happy with the way things are supposed to work and I can never find any OS mods or tweaks to my liking so the easiest way is to learn how to make it yourself. Open source = the best (in most cases) now we have a fully functional MT based OS for our MT table project.

After making a nice little hi-jack there back to hating Gnome, apart from GPARTED Gnome is dead to me

Cato
31-07-2010, 03:05 PM
I won't loose any sleep when it dies but I can't see that happening any time soon.

Every major distribution already favors KDE, save Ubuntu - and most importantly more people are using it.

With Gnome-shell they have lost it. And it seems I am not the only one who thinks so, I am still perfectly happy with 2.x but, gnome-shell really is a job.

What were they thinking, but it's a complete fail.

TEG: Sadly, they limited most options for gnome-shell - at least at this stage. But seeing as it a RC, I don't see that changing.

It does not make things simpler, it makes them harder. A tastbar where they have one app showing, and you half to ALT+TAB to try find anything else you want to see.

This is a disaster, and I say it GNOME 2.3x will be included in official repositories for some time to come.

Personally, I'll take Banshee over WMP, iTunes or whatever people use these days, every time.

KarameaDave
01-08-2010, 11:06 AM
My understanding is that it is far from finished.
http://techie-buzz.com/foss/new-gnome-shell-mockup-looks-good-but-is-it-better.html
and will not be released until next year.
So you may be pre-judging things somewhat.
Although it sounds ghastly at present
KDE4 was critically panned when first it saw the light of day as well.
I use and like the modified Gnome interface in Mint.
I find KDE a bit quirky (or maybe it's me who's quirky) :)

Cato
01-08-2010, 12:49 PM
My understanding is that it is far from finished.
http://techie-buzz.com/foss/new-gnome-shell-mockup-looks-good-but-is-it-better.html
and will not be released until next year.
So you may be pre-judging things somewhat.
Although it sounds ghastly at present

Yeah well when you call something a release candidate you expect it to be similar to the release. Anyway, it seems I wasn't the only one who thought it was utter crap.
It's good that they're giving up and trying something else, but I fear it's too little too late. Still looks like the wrong direction.

KDE 4.6 will be out by then. But most importantly it means one thing, the most important thing based on current release cycles, the chances of shipping on a major distribution are slim to none next year.

RIP gnome-shell. :p

KarameaDave
01-08-2010, 08:26 PM
If Gnome should be unusable in the future, I would probably switch
to XFCE or LDXE, both are quite usable and considerably lighter-weight
than Gnome or KDE.
I am not arguing the benefits of Gnome-shell, I just prefer the
present version 'cause I'm familiar with it, obviously. :)

Cato
01-08-2010, 10:51 PM
I am not arguing the benefits of Gnome-shell, I just prefer the present version 'cause I'm familiar with it, obviously. :)

Same here, I'm pretty happy with how gnome how it is. Just hate gnome-shell and the just makes me think...