PDA

View Full Version : Please suggest me an unlimited broadband plan

reg.newlife
30-07-2010, 11:54 PM
Telecom(my current ISP) gonna end the big-time plan soon so I am looking for another ISP . I am living in an apartment in Auckland City, I was quite disappointed with Telecom's service, I always got disconnections and because the unstableness i cannot even play Counter Strike :badpc:

Can anyone please suggest me an unlimited broadband plan? Better be less than $110/month .

any help will be appreciated !! :clap

*sorry for my poor english :(

Nomad
30-07-2010, 11:58 PM
i think orcon has a highish GB and maybe actrix has it also and vodafone but i don't think there is a unlimited one ... period.

Netsukeninja
31-07-2010, 12:56 AM
If you have your power with TrustPower you can try Kinect http://www.kinect.co.nz/

Agent_24
31-07-2010, 02:29 AM
If you have your power with TrustPower you can try Kinect http://www.kinect.co.nz/

And there I was thinking it was something to do with Microsoft...

Agent_24
31-07-2010, 02:32 AM
I was quite disappointed with Telecom's service, I always got disconnections and because the unstableness i cannot even play Counter Strike :badpc:

You may not get better service with a different ISP if there is a fault somewhere.

A dodgy router, faulty filters or crappy phone line etc could cause disconnection problems, these things would not change if you changed ISP.

I assume you did try to get Telecom to fix the problem?

SurferJoe46
31-07-2010, 03:14 AM
Run some Cat5e to my router and I'll let you use my ISP @ 3.0/3.0 for free.

Ewww - I just noticed that you're a gamer. There goes my pipe!

reg.newlife
31-07-2010, 10:07 AM
i think orcon has a highish GB and maybe actrix has it also and vodafone but i don't think there is a unlimited one ... period.

orz i went to hv a look on orcon and actrix's website. They are quite expensive , aren't they..

anyway thx for your help ! :thanks

reg.newlife
31-07-2010, 10:09 AM

sorry but i am not getting " if you hv your power with Trustpower" , what does it mean ? :confused:

i actually found a unlimited plan in Kinect , that's quite suitable for me ! :punk But can any current user give some comment about it ? Thank you ! :clap

reg.newlife
31-07-2010, 10:16 AM
You may not get better service with a different ISP if there is a fault somewhere.

A dodgy router, faulty filters or crappy phone line etc could cause disconnection problems, these things would not change if you changed ISP.

um...actually i am not familiar with the internet connection stuffs..i am just using the router that telecom provided . I hv already given lots of phone calls to Telecom to try to solve the problem but unfortunately there is not much they can do :o Also I hv to spend a lot of time for it, it pissed me off very much :mad:

Cato
31-07-2010, 10:26 AM
um...actually i am not familiar with the internet connection stuffs..i am just using the router that telecom provided . I hv already given lots of phone calls to Telecom to try to solve the problem but unfortunately there is not much they can do :o Also I hv to spend a lot of time for it, it pissed me off very much :mad:

https://www.telecom.co.nz/images/4/thomsonmodem_wirelesspage.jpg

If you have that thing, I suggest you take it outside, and take any kind of hammer you may have to it.

Then go out an buy a decent one. Those are worse than a kilo piece of doggy doodoo.

Netsukeninja
31-07-2010, 10:28 AM
sorry but i am not getting " if you hv your power with Trustpower" , what does it mean ? :confused:

i actually found a unlimited plan in Kinect , that's quite suitable for me ! :punk But can any current user give some comment about it ? Thank you ! :clap

You have to have your power/electricity supply with TrustPower to get their broadband service.

Nomad
31-07-2010, 10:31 AM

basically try a friends router and see if it helps. the freebies are not known to be great. or use your one at your mates place who has broadband.

request a line check and maybe the chorus dudes will fix it for you. for me before i had only 2Mbit or 3Mbit speed and then suddenly I had huge static which my modem couldn't connect at all, chorus guy came and replaced cables and now i get 5Mbit :D note that if it is relatively static free like before with us at 2 or 3Mbit it may be within tolerance so they might not do anything ....

reg.newlife
31-07-2010, 10:35 AM

https://www.telecom.co.nz/images/4/thomsonmodem_wirelesspage.jpg

If you have that thing, I suggest you take it outside, and take any kind of hammer you may have to it.

Then go out an buy a decent one. Those are worse than a kilo piece of doggy doodoo.
omfg that's the modem i using :stare:
what brand of modem do u suggest ? Is TP-link okay ?

Cato
31-07-2010, 11:05 AM
omfg that's the modem i using :stare:
what brand of modem do u suggest ? Is TP-link okay ?

Are you connected wirelessly by any chance?

I would suggest Linksys, which is what I use. But they are a tad expensive. Borrow a router from someone and try and see if your connection is still unstable to be sure.

But from experience that Telecom modem is a POS. I had disabled wireless on it and used a much older Linksys access point to give us wireless.

Agent_24
31-07-2010, 11:25 AM
The Telecom routers are cheap but I wouldn't expect them to disconnect all the time.

It's more likely a wiring\filter problem