PDA

View Full Version : Recover Vista product code from non booting drive.

KiwiLinc
30-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Problem. Vista won't boot. Decided to re-install. (Memtest & Seatools say all OK)
The product ID on the bottom of the laptop is so worn only half the ID is visible.
How can I extract the licence so I can re-install?

I've slaved it to an XP machine through an esata dock & all seems normal.

bob_doe_nz
30-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Try the Magical Jellybean Keyfinder. (http://sourceforge.net/projects/keyfinder/files/)

You might need to use the Load Hive function and navigate to the vista drive.

KiwiLinc
30-07-2010, 03:17 PM
Thanks, Navigated to Vista drive/Windows but no luck. Came up with Zone Alarm in the right panel but nothing else.

Roger Hunt
30-07-2010, 03:22 PM
http://directedge.us/content/abr-activation-backup-and-restore?page=5

KiwiLinc
30-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Umm, not really sure how ABR works. Drive currently slaved to XP.

wainuitech
30-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Magic jelly Bean should find the Key as bob_doe_nz suggested.

BUT if its a factory install OS, Eg: Dell, Acer, HP/Compaq, then the key wont work on a fresh install Via a DVD. If its been reinstall before with the COA on the bottom it will work.

If Its a factory install it may accept it when you put it in, but it wont activate since its a default factory Key thats on thousands of PC's. You would have to ring MS and try to activate it, BUT they will more than likely say to use the COA on the Laptop.

Got the exact same problem here with a Acer laptop - AVG screwed the system, the HDD has damaged sectors & the COA is invisible through wear and tear -- have to use a recovery partition and "try" to extract the WIM file to reinstall it.

wainuitech
30-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Whats the Make of laptop ??

IF by some chance its an Acer -- boot laptop, just as the Acer logo appears hit alt + F10 that will launch into the recovery partition, and reinstall Vista.

pctek
30-07-2010, 05:38 PM
I guessed once.
Part of it was visible, 2 or 3 characters too faint, tried various combinations until voila, success. You could give it a go if it isn't too gone.

angry
30-07-2010, 05:46 PM
clean it up with some soap and water only a little bit in/on a cotton bud. when its clean gently wet it (only the area where then numbers were) and look at it at an angle under good light the numbers may show as the moisture moves away from the last of the number ink first.

also finger print talk when its dry may show them.

genuine oem disks for sp2 vista and serials arnt too hard to get, if you have to go that way.

Roger Hunt
30-07-2010, 09:08 PM
ABR runs a small program that finds your code and security certificate and saves them to a file. Put the program and file on a usb stick and after you reinstall run the program again to restore your code.

angry
30-07-2010, 09:32 PM
ABR runs a small program that finds your code and security certificate and saves them to a file. Put the program and file on a usb stick and after you reinstall run the program again to restore your code.

if you do this with abr does the install media used have to be the same version as the origonal???

Roger Hunt
31-07-2010, 12:12 AM
There are some rules they are explained on the link I gave you.
They have to do with Retail and OEM mixing.I don't remember now if you can mix one with the other.I think you can. I know you cannot change from say, basic to home premium.

angry
31-07-2010, 12:33 AM
There are some rules they are explained on the link I gave you.
They have to do with Retail and OEM mixing.I don't remember now if you can mix one with the other.I think you can. I know you cannot change from say, basic to home premium.

I am not that familiar with vista(pig), or seven, but I know some serials on earler op sys were version and oem/fpp sensative.

I sped read the link, which is what gave me the version question, it was clear on the inability to upgrade basic to ultimate.

the beta allegedly works for 7 ,which could be useful as many suppliers are supplying a recovery patition only .

Which is fine untill somebody nukes it to get more disk space or some such. Then the unit changes hands and the new owner has no proof of new purchase, so can not buy any install media.

There are several genuine versions of vista oem install media available for free download. requiring only a GENUINE serial to be perfectly workable.

I havent searched for the same for 7, yet.

does anybody know if there are any about/available yet. yet.

bk T
31-07-2010, 10:31 AM
-- have to use a recovery partition and "try" to extract the WIM file to reinstall it.

Did you succeed in extracting the file? If you could still remember, how did you do it? Kind enough to share?:thanks

wainuitech
31-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
-- have to use a recovery partition and "try" to extract the WIM file to reinstall it.
Did you succeed in extracting the file? If you could still remember, how did you do it? Kind enough to share? Yeah Kind of :rolleyes:

This week and last I have done two similar recoveries from the backup partition. 1 Dell and 1 Acer.

The Acer -- Booted the HDD from a Ubuntu live CD - looked into the recovery partition for the wim file, but couldn't see it, Acer put the recovery partition as a errrrrr working OS kind of Acer recovery partition (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Screenshot1280537716.png) -- Cloned the damaged Drive to a new One, bad sectors and all --OS totally screwed -- Rebooted the Laptop, hit alt + F10 and it loaded into the recovery and reinstalled Vista. Lucky the recovery partition was not damaged.

The DEll - Same thing - booted the original HDD from Ubuntu, had a look around the recovery partition, it only had two or three folders, soon found the actual factory.wim file, copied it to my server in a folder called Images\Dell.

Now sitting in the Server, as you can see By its size (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Dell1280538011.jpg) its the whole OS and programs. That txt file is just a note so I know what it is. :)

A .wim file is not quite the same as a ISO file, you can make it into one, but it was quicker to image it straight to the New Laptop HDD.

The wim file can be on a server/PC, can also be a USB drive etc, just have to find the right drive letter.

How I did it :nerd: Laptop = Blank HDD. Connect to my LAN.

Booted the laptop from a WinPE bootable CD containing imagex - You get a command prompt window.

Logged into the server. With the commands:

net use Y: \\smallbus\images\Dell /user: Workshop 123456789 (Numbers are fake password)

open disk part with the following commands hitting enter after each command:

Diskpart
select disk 0
clean
create partition primary
select partition 1
format fs=ntfs Label="windows" quick
assign letter=c
active
exit

Back at the command prompt, lay the image back to the laptop from the server with this command - and hit enter

d : \imagex.exe /apply \\smallbus\images\Dell\Factory.wim 1 C:

(NOTE: have to put a space between d and : other wise I get a simile - Ill post a Pic of the actual command, doing another W7 but need to get batteries for the camera )

Once the image was laid back down, took around 15 minutes, booted up the laptop as normal and away it went, fresh install, just put in the customers details, and remove all the dell crap.

wainuitech
31-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Adding to the above -- The picture with commands (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Imagex.jpg).

When imaging Windows 7 you have to create two partitions, the hidden is C, the actual OS is D, the Optical drive is E

So those commands are saying -- Logging into the server, laying down the image to drive D.

When windows boots normally, Drive D will in fact be seen as Drive C and the optical drive will now become D.

As for the Dell Vista wim -- only one partition, so C is C.