PDA

View Full Version : Radeon 6000 Series

PCT Joe
30-07-2010, 11:42 AM
I've been informed that this will be released in mid - late September this year, I will be starting my AMES diploma around the same time and am looking to buy 2GB DDR3-1333 Ram and 2x 1TB Seagate barracuda 7200.12's... I was considering buying a 5850 at the same time also, but since I heard about the 6000 series(codename Southern Islands) I'd like to know more about the new line. I looked online and all ive found is speculation on dates and the possibility that it may be moving from a 40nm processing line to a 28nm global foundries processing line. and if it doesn't the next series (the 7000, codenamed northern islands) will be moved to this, a complete skip of the 32nm processing line. can anyone give me more information on the new series of cards?

Agent_24
30-07-2010, 12:50 PM
I don't think anyone knows much more than what you have already found out for yourself

PCT Joe
30-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Oh bummer, Well. heres to hoping that they come in at the same price points as the 5xxx series... and hopefully they come out with a 5890, then again that just makes it a toss up between a 5890 and 6850... oh the joy of the industry upgrade cycle!

SolMiester
30-07-2010, 03:04 PM
I've been informed that this will be released in mid - late September this year, I will be starting my AMES diploma around the same time and am looking to buy 2GB DDR3-1333 Ram and 2x 1TB Seagate barracuda 7200.12's... I was considering buying a 5850 at the same time also, but since I heard about the 6000 series(codename Southern Islands) I'd like to know more about the new line. I looked online and all ive found is speculation on dates and the possibility that it may be moving from a 40nm processing line to a 28nm global foundries processing line. and if it doesn't the next series (the 7000, codenamed northern islands) will be moved to this, a complete skip of the 32nm processing line. can anyone give me more information on the new series of cards?

The 6xxx series is yet just another upgrade from 4 > 5 > 6. No new architectures so at best will only yield a 20-30% improvement over the existing...

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2091113&highlight=southern+islands

ATI’s next generation Southern Islands cores are not promising anything spectacular. It looks like these cores are going to be just a tweak of ATI's existing Radeon HD 5000 series architecture.

This is mainly due the fact that this generation remains developed for 40nm and ATI still doesn’t have any new amazing architecture until 28nm and we have already reported that 28nm cores are coming sometime in 2011.

The release of the first cores based on the new improved generation is planned for October time, but ATI might introduce them in last days of September just to pull wool over investors’ eyes, as if it launches in late September it can still claim that launch took place in Q3 2010. They have already played this trump card with the Radeon HD 5000 series.

I take it you are a fanATic........personally, I only buy them for other people...

PCT Joe
30-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Not necessarily, My current graphics card is a Nvidia 9800GT however its grown outdated plus I recently upgraded my monitor to a 23.5" 1080p LCD screen.

ATI is leading for the price/performance sector at the moment, thats why im looking at them. and if ATI mimic's its pricing in the new series it means that I can pick up a 5890?/6850 within my budget. and it means ill be at the top of the charts again. Able to play anything I want for another 2 years to come :)

Edit: Thanks that was a good forum post on anandtech

pctek
30-07-2010, 04:37 PM
My current graphics card is a Nvidia 9800GT.

Well buying todays card is a big jump for you then - don't bother waiting on next years release.

PCT Joe
30-07-2010, 05:11 PM
I know, however I won't be starting my AMES diploma (and subsequently getting my student loan) In late September (27th to be exact) so I have to wait either way.

Im satisfied with my 9800 atm as it does everything I need, but it would mean I could get alot better graphics in GTA:IV, DA:O and MW2. Im sure there will be plenty of other games to use it on in the future too.

~ I've been studying up on it more and according to speculation it will be 10~20% better than the current generation processors for performance which should convert into about 40fps on Crysis Warhead maxed at 1920x1080(My monitor res) although I still haven't played this game I understand its still a game that most graphics cards are benchmarked against.

SolMiester
31-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Not necessarily, My current graphics card is a Nvidia 9800GT however its grown outdated plus I recently upgraded my monitor to a 23.5" 1080p LCD screen.

ATI is leading for the price/performance sector at the moment, thats why im looking at them. and if ATI mimic's its pricing in the new series it means that I can pick up a 5890?/6850 within my budget. and it means ill be at the top of the charts again. Able to play anything I want for another 2 years to come :)

Edit: Thanks that was a good forum post on anandtech

Actually, the nv gtx460 is the price\performance bang for buck...previously it was ATi 5850, however they still have the worst drivers period no matter how good the harwdare

bk T
31-07-2010, 09:50 PM
I know, however I won't be starting my AMES diploma (and subsequently getting my student loan) ...

Just curious, are they still using pirated software applications in AMES?

Deimos
01-08-2010, 12:13 AM
they still have the worst drivers period no matter how good the harwdare

Thats bullshit, aside from ATI's drivers being less user friendly (CCC is cumbersome) both companies have issues with drivers in games, and both have a similar release cycle for drivers.

I have played through a good 20 odd steam games since I got my 5870 and have had zero game breaking issues.

The latest news I heard is that the 6000 is basically a tweaked 5000, i.e. nothing new will be added, they will just increase the number of stream processors and a memory clock speed bump, I don't think 1 x 6870 will = 5970 or 2 x 5870.

qazwsxokmijn
01-08-2010, 12:43 AM
Both nVidia and ATI have given me headaches with their drivers.

pctek
01-08-2010, 08:44 AM
I won't be starting my AMES diploma (and subsequently getting my student loan) In late September (27th to be exact) so I have to wait

You're going to use your loan money to buy hardware?!!

qazwsxokmijn
01-08-2010, 11:44 AM
I think he means allowance.....loans are paid directly to the education provider.

PCT Joe
01-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Just curious, are they still using pirated software applications in AMES?

Considering that AMES is a Microsoft academic partner I don't really believe this, There annual fee's will cover all the software I'll be using, Plus they'd get great discounts via the MSDN/Academic Partner program

**I'll be using my Course Related Costs(Loan) for hardware. seeing as its course related... a computer course as it is. And I won't get a student allowence, Ill still be on IYB via WINZ