PDA

View Full Version : Does Linux change your BIOS?

davehold
30-07-2010, 12:29 PM
I have a dual boot desktop that runs either Linux (Ubuntu10.04) or Windows XP Pro. Yesterday I ran some updates that Ubuntu suggested to the system. When the PC rebooted it refused to see my Viewsonic 2235 22" monitor either in linux or windows. It will also not allow me to see the monitor/driver after I have reinstalled the viewsonic driver and there is no option for the native resolution of 1650x1080 for my monitor either in XP or linux - Can the Linux update have changed my BOIS possibly?

pantera989
30-07-2010, 12:32 PM
I had some wired problems with my monitor not being picked up by my operating systems properly a few months ago. The solution for me was to simply unplug the monitor from the power (I also unplugged my computer and everything attached to it from the power) for about and hour, then it started working fine.
Could give this a try and see if it helps you?

davehold
30-07-2010, 12:34 PM
I had some wired problems with my monitor not being picked up by my operating systems properly a few months ago. The solution for me was to simply unplug the monitor from the power (I also unplugged my computer and everything attached to it from the power) for about and hour, then it started working fine.
Could give this a try and see if it helps you?
Okie dokie will give that a try - let you know.

Erayd
30-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Can the Linux update have changed my BOIS possibly?No - unless you deliberately ran a command as root (or via sudo) to manually flash your BIOS (and you would *definitely* know if you'd done this, there's no way you can do it accidentally), Linux will not have changed the BIOS in any way.

davehold
30-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Problem solved - Thanks for the hint Pantera. What is the issue with is? Am I right in assuming that its a memory buffer issue and the PC needs to be removed from power to clear out any/all buffers? Am happy its solved but just curious as to cause now.

pantera989
30-07-2010, 05:43 PM
I have no idea what causes this problem but I spent around a week with this problem searching through forum after forum and on the phone with microsoft tech support, for a fix.
Then came along earth hour and after that it worked perfectly fine.

PCT Joe
30-07-2010, 06:57 PM
I have no idea what causes this problem but I spent around a week with this problem searching through forum after forum and on the phone with microsoft tech support, for a fix.
Then came along earth hour and after that it worked perfectly fine.

Being green does have its benefits :eek:

Thebananamonkey
30-07-2010, 08:38 PM
"Did you turn it off and then back on again?" is the first question any tech support anywhere would ask you.

I'm shocked by how seldom people do this...

I'd look out for good deals on other monitors. Sounds like it could be the beginning of the end.

pantera989
30-07-2010, 08:46 PM
My moniter has been running for about year with no problems, since this problem last occurred. I turned the monitor on and off many times, but it was at the power switch on the back of the monitor, not at the wall, and wasn't left off for a long period of time.

johnd
30-07-2010, 10:12 PM
...there is no option for the native resolution of 1650x1080 for my monitor either in XP or linux - Can the Linux update have changed my BOIS possibly?
There is no way this can happen even by accident as others have said. However even if the BIOS was changed, it could not affect the resolution as set within the operating systems. All the BIOS does in terms of the screen is allow you to see text before the OS is booted and the OS drivers take over.