PDA

View Full Version : Nokia N95 cellphone question

zqia014
29-07-2010, 09:43 PM
Hi all,

Sorry for somewhat an off topic post, but not sure which forum I should post it on.

My Nokia N95's LCD screen seems to have died, everything on the software side is fine, phone turns on ok, just the screen has gone black.

Two questions,

1. How much do mobile repairers typically charge? It's been a great phone and I would like to repair it if the charge is not too high.

2. Is there anyway of getting all the contact details from the phone (saved on phone memory)? The LCD is dead so I don't know how I get retrieve those information.

Thanks for any advice.

Billy T
29-07-2010, 10:32 PM
No point in posting twice, if nobody answered your first post it means nobody knows the answer.

Use the yellow pages or Google (NZ only) and try calling Nokia agents or general cellphone repair services.

That said, repairs are likely to cost just about as much as a new phone anyway.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

zqia014
29-07-2010, 10:45 PM
Oops sorry accidentally posted twice. I'll see if I can delete my other one.

Renmoo
29-07-2010, 11:04 PM
How long have you been using the phone for?

Deimos
30-07-2010, 12:39 AM
You can find screens for sale on trademe, they are not too expensive.
As for repairers, I broke the mic in my N95 (internal one) I could buy the part for $5 but I would have to buy a minimum of 10 pieces, and the repairer wants to charge $45 to replace it for me (so I guess that works out to be $40 labour, I opted to get the guy to do it for me because he knows what he is doing) I estimate it would take up to an hour to replace the part (or it would be charged as an hour) I could get the part in and out of my phone in around 10 minutes.
The screen is pretty easy to swap out, I doubt it would take me longer than 15-20 minutes to do, and I am not a cell phone repairer.

I like to pull things apart in case you are wondering about the time estimates...

bob_doe_nz
30-07-2010, 01:39 AM
Can you see the screen if you shine a torch at it? If so, it could be a dud back light.

If not, it may or may not be the LCD itself.

If you have some cash to spare, you could buy a replacement LCD screen from Ebay and repair it yourself. Not sure about the backlight.

It's not easy generally as phones tend to be finicky. You may also need to buy special screwdrivers.

Shipping varies as well.

Can't guarantee the quality of the LCD either.

And it will certainly void any warranty if there is still one.

zqia014
30-07-2010, 07:45 PM
I'm sure it's not the actual LCD, it must be the back light, maybe a solder joint has come loose.

I first noticed when I slide the screen up, it would go black, then lit up again when the screen is fully up.

Then it eventually got worse and the screen went black all together.

Acecare
11-08-2010, 04:23 PM
You don't have to be worried with the price because it is really cheap. I remember the time when my friend also encountered this problem in his phone. The mobile repairer definitely charge at a reasonable price.

Renmoo
11-08-2010, 06:57 PM
... Which mobile repairer?

kjaada
12-08-2010, 04:32 PM
If yr phone has a sim card yr info is saved on that and can be transferred to
another sim card phone.