PDA

View Full Version : What have you missed out on?

Metla
29-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Yet again I see some posts were people are saying how bad the world is and I can't for the life of me figure out what some people think they were cheated out of,.

Our children are getting better education then ever before, medical services are of a higher capability and reach more people. We all have food on our table, clothing, housing, The majority of people are able to find employment.

We are living longer then ever before,People have the opportunity to start their own business, grow their own food, speed their life dedicated to the arts, have families, and many productive years to give themselves the lifestyle they wish for.

The issue shouldn't be that others maybe richer as everything is in place for the individual to live a good life.

So,what is it that makes people feel they are so hard done by?, Did someone chop off their arms and legs?

plod
29-07-2010, 09:50 PM
people are pretty quick to forget how things use to be. 20 years ago you were tied to a phone by a cord, now we ***** when we can't get coverage out in wop wops. Impatience is what I put it down too

rob_on_guitar
29-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Media doesnt show enough nicey stuff, the constant doom and gloom that spews out of papers, magazines, tv, internet, preachers, radio etc is bringing everyone down like coming off a bad acid trip.
Personally the most things I hear complained about is how soft our courts are and the price of food in comparison with joe bloggs wages.

My biggest complaint for me is someone ate the last of my tim tams gggGgrrR

Metla
29-07-2010, 09:55 PM
I look at photos of how my dear old mum was raised, I live like a king in comparison.

george12
29-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Yet again I see some posts were people are saying how bad the world is and I can't for the life of me figure out what some people think they were cheated out of,.

Our children are getting better education then ever before, medical services are of a higher capability and reach more people. We all have food on our table, clothing, housing, The majority of people are able to find employment.

We are living longer then ever before,People have the opportunity to start their own business, grow their own food, speed their life dedicated to the arts, have families, and many productive years to give themselves the lifestyle they wish for.

The issue shouldn't be that others maybe richer as everything is in place for the individual to live a good life.

So,what is it that makes people feel they are so hard done by?, Did someone chop off their arms and legs?

I could not agree more. I always think this when those around me (who have everything you mention but have some complaint about life) complain about how hard and bad life is.

kenj
29-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Watched a DVD called "Baraka" in Blu-ray.

Brilliant in so many ways. I can really recommend it.

Most impressive thing shown, was how quickly the Indian children could get to the top of a pile of freshly dumped rubbish so as to get the best pickings.

Methinks we do pretty damn well in this beautiful country of ours!

Ken

Trev
29-07-2010, 10:28 PM
My late mother had 2 sisters older than her and she had to wear there clothes and shoes after they had grown out of them. At bath time if you were the youngest in the family you were the last to have a bath after mum, dad and 6 brothers and sisters had had theres using the same water which was usually about once a week.
You have probably missed out on petrol costing 1 shilling and sixpence a gallon. Going to the pictures for 1 shilling and sitting in the front row for 9d.
:)

Marnie
29-07-2010, 11:08 PM
My late mother had 2 sisters older than her and she had to wear there clothes and shoes after they had grown out of them. At bath time if you were the youngest in the family you were the last to have a bath after mum, dad and 6 brothers and sisters had had theres using the same water which was usually about once a week.
You have probably missed out on petrol costing 1 shilling and sixpence a gallon. Going to the pictures for 1 shilling and sitting in the front row for 9d.

Trev, you forgot about the 3d ice cream and the horror when it rose to 4d.

zqwerty
29-07-2010, 11:41 PM
Lest you forget

Born for GLORY:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2010/07/26/captured-america-in-color-from-1939-1943/

F you Metla

Metla
30-07-2010, 12:06 AM
F you Metla

Now, Thats just not nice.

But it says quite a lot.

zqwerty
30-07-2010, 12:52 AM
Dismissive, but the pictures stand nevertheless,

Metla
30-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Dismissive, but the pictures stand nevertheless,

If anything they prove my point, Life gets better, the system is working.

I wonder how many of their women died in childbirth.

Strommer
30-07-2010, 09:19 AM
If anything they prove my point,

:thumbs: True.

Thanks for starting this thread Metla.

z's comments show that the Tall Poppy Syndrome is -unfortunately- alive and kicking.

pctek
30-07-2010, 09:21 AM
medical services are of a higher capability and reach more people. We all have food on our table, clothing, housing,

People have the opportunity to start their own business,

You want whinging?
OK, once it only took 1 partner to work to pay for accomodation. Now it's two.
Medical services, well that depends which part of the country you live in. Southland - loads of it was non-existent. Not to mention actually trying to get a GP>

Housing, hmmm, some of us did own a house once, now we don't and never will again.

Opportunity to start a business? That would be nice to have the money to.

Metla
30-07-2010, 09:28 AM
I hate to say it pctek but those issues have come about due to your choices, and you still have food in your belly, shelter over your head, and clothes to wear.

Gobe1
30-07-2010, 09:46 AM
Trev, you forgot about the 3d ice cream and the horror when it rose to 4d.

Thats a 33% increase !!!!

EDIT: Metla that fact every family must have two incomes to survive is by no choice of pctek me thinks

Metla
30-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Thats a 33% increase !!!!

EDIT: Metla that fact every family must have two incomes to survive is by no choice of pctek me thinks

Depends on your income, your savings ability,lifestyle choice, location. Did you have a plan?,what choices were made?

And, I cant see anything bad about an able bodied person working....

Bozo
30-07-2010, 10:34 AM
I think a lot of the moaning and griping that is around these days is because everyone thinks they have 'a right' to have cellphone coverage in that remote area, its their right to have this that and the other, and if anyone dares not to provide what they think are their 'rights', then boo hoo.

Its an odd mentality, very few people infact owe us sh|t, and the sooner we all just learn to chill out, lax, and enjoy what we do have... well yea :)

Metla
30-07-2010, 10:49 AM
It seems to me its some older people, When then get to the point in their life when they realise there most productive years are behind them, they look at the position their choices and actions have earned them, and get pissed off.

I know some people so bent out of shape its just ridicules, but in each case there own actions put them where they are today.

Trev
30-07-2010, 11:02 AM
My most productive years are behind me but I'm happy.

Gobe1
30-07-2010, 11:03 AM
And, I cant see anything bad about an able bodied person working....

I feel half the problem with children these days is there is no mum at home looking after them. I have no proof but, just :2cents:

Gobe1
30-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Depends on your income, your savings ability,lifestyle choice, location. Did you have a plan?,what choices were made?

I did have a plan, unfortunatley life has killed the dream i dreamed

Income is good, i can save, and only pay cash for goodies because i despise debt so save up for everything PS3 etc, i did make some bad choices, wish i listended to my parents, the ol hind sight trick.

I think "lifestyle" is better now than 60 years ago, but life isnt

Metla
30-07-2010, 11:10 AM
I don't see that there is a huge problem with children these days, Though there is definitly a minority of them that are getting cheated by their parents, Though not by the parents that care enough to go to work to support them.

Gobe1
30-07-2010, 11:24 AM
thats the problem, you shouldnt have to go to work just to "support" your kids, one income used to be enough, not any more.

Metla
30-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Bad parenting is a problem, not hard working parents.

Look back further then a couple of generations and see how much personal attention individual children got from working class parents.

Its a myth.

Gobe1
30-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Where did we go wrong

Metla
30-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Who is "we" and what do you think is wrong?

Gobe1
30-07-2010, 12:11 PM
It might just be me

Metla
30-07-2010, 12:17 PM
righto....

What I was getting at is people have always had to work,and work hard, be that to support their family or care for their families.

Through out history women have always been called upon to work otherwise the family unit fails, they have always held an integral position, In the fields, with the children, in the house.

Working class families have always been just that,working. Its always taken the contribution of both parents to support the family.

pctek
30-07-2010, 03:24 PM
I hate to say it pctek but those issues have come about due to your choices, and you still have food in your belly, shelter over your head, and clothes to wear.

You could say that but then moving down there in the first place was to fix it.

Cicero
30-07-2010, 03:56 PM
In the past we didn't have 30 odd% on some kind of benifit,and a decent number choose the benifit as a life style.

You can't say that stat is a good one!

And it might be noted,these baby killers eminate from that mob too.

sir fer
30-07-2010, 05:07 PM
righto....

What I was getting at is people have always had to work,and work hard, be that to support their family or care for their families....

That may be so, but both parents didn't need to be away from the house and kids to achieve a supportive environment at home. My mum didn't have a 'proper job' for many years while she raised us. Too many parents 'outsource' their parental duties and wonder why the kids won't listen to them. I think that is what is meant by the problem of both parents working...working to make ends meet rather than working to ensure they produce quality offspring.

lakewoodlady
30-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Things probably are better for people these days and I agree with Metla. We should all think about the positives in life.
My parents had six of us and in those days one wage was enough to support the family. As the older ones were able to go to work they also then contributed. I have three older sisters, imagine the state of the clothes when I got to wear them lol!
Things weren't easy but it was a very happy and caring family. My parents never owned a house.

Hubby and I had two kids. I worked part time jobs till they were old enough to be left. Hubby was very good provider and if we couldn't afford anything we didn't get it. We bought a house, and later on a nice car.

Things do get better and you are always usually better off than your parents were. All down to the choices you make really. Just a lot better if you make the right ones. We do have a lot to be thankful for in NZ. :thumbs:

LL

gary67
30-07-2010, 06:41 PM
We live on my income, Wife hasn't worked for a couple of years yet we have paid the mortgage can afford nice food, a lot of which she grows, we drive a crummy old car but it goes and is economical. The other car she part owns with her son and they share it for now until he gets his full licence then it will become his completely and we will just have the one car. And we are happy, I go into the back country a lot and really prefer my cellphone not to work

Paul.Cov
30-07-2010, 07:19 PM
I've missed out on war, famine, severe financial hardship, homelessness, malnourishment, early death, chronic ill health, civil unrest, polio, measles, smallpox.

But what's really bad is that sometimes by broadband runs slowly.

Yeah, we are spoilt with great times, and it's easy to lose perspective on how much life could have sucked.

Every day above ground is a good day!

Thanks for the reminder Metla.

mikebartnz
31-07-2010, 12:08 AM
YOur children are getting better education then ever before,
Are they? Back in about 1910 these twelve year olds were given some algebra questions and sixty or seventy years later these teacher trainees were given the same questions. Guess which group did better.

Twelvevolts
31-07-2010, 12:40 AM
My new 50 inch Television makes my other 40 inch Television look too small - I feel I'm missing out on an upgrade to 60 inches.

It's also a bummer we only have five computers in the house, we need more.

And sometimes when I want to buy the latest gadget, I'm not allowed it as my financial controller thinks other things are more important.

It's tough out here

gary67
31-07-2010, 09:49 AM
My new 50 inch Television makes my other 40 inch Television look too small - I feel I'm missing out on an upgrade to 60 inches.

It's also a bummer we only have five computers in the house, we need more.

And sometimes when I want to buy the latest gadget, I'm not allowed it as my financial controller thinks other things are more important.

It's tough out here

I feel your pain, my financial controller keeps saying there is nothing wrong with the CRT TV

plod
31-07-2010, 10:07 AM
I feel your pain, my financial controller keeps saying there is nothing wrong with the CRT TV
Then its time to make something wrong with it:D

Poppa John
31-07-2010, 02:53 PM
It seems to me its some older people, When then get to the point in their life when they realise there most productive years are behind them, they look at the position their choices and actions have earned them, and get pissed off.

I know some people so bent out of shape its just ridicules, but in each case there own actions put them where they are today.

Ouch...that hurts. PJ:crying

Poppa John
31-07-2010, 02:56 PM

Ouch...that hurts. PJ :crying

prefect
31-07-2010, 03:06 PM

Isnt that so true.
Thinking back myself, should I have got married and had kids.
Should I have chosen a homo desk job instead of working on pieces of **** machinery all my life.
Should I be a an employee instead of an employer be better off working for some sadsack business owner. Then be able to wake up in the morning and say nah I aint going to work today I will pull a sickie.

beetle
31-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Ok im waving my hand here, im a single income family............. have been for ages, and will be for ages........... i have no partner, have no intention of getting a new one either.:p

but i survive........ on one income, not always easily, and yes its sometimes a case of counting down the days to pay day............ im trying not to incur any extra debt, im trying to sell off assets i dont need........ extra cars, furniture and accumulated crap. im doing up my house which i own, so i can place it on the market and move more central to town so we can walk or bike places instead of using the car all the time. i do have more than 1 telly, all crt ones tho, i have more than 1 computer, but i only bought 2 of them and others have been given, and none of them are younger than 7 years old? i buy and sell items off trademe, i watch what i buy, i collect flybuys, or watch the sales of things i need.
i work about 35 hours a week, and the biggest grumble i have is im tired when i get home and i have limited energy to do the DIY or the housework....... my children have not visited there dads for 18 months or more, so i dont get to share the parenting load or get time out, but they are old enough to cook some meals now, and help with the house, they paint quite well....... we like the simple things, but life still costs a lot to live simple.

and what do i want? i would like a bank balance that stays in the black above 100 at all times........lol oh and i dont have a overdraft....

but we are happy, we have food, we have warmth and we have each other.
and i have a good job with a supportive team who help when things get rough.
beetle

mikebartnz
31-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Are they? Back in about 1910 these twelve year olds were given some algebra questions and sixty or seventy years later these teacher trainees were given the same questions. Guess which group did better.
Still haven't got back to me on that one Metla?

Metla
31-07-2010, 11:59 PM

Got a link?

And even if its true its a worthless comparison, They should have tested some students of the same age on a subject they were currently being taught.

R2x1
01-08-2010, 12:17 AM
Those 1910 12 year olds had an advantage, they didn't have to learn much history because not much had happened yet, and the extra time was spent on maths just so they could figure out how to solve for X. I expect it was very useful then, but now we have Google that finds almost anything.
Today I decided that it would be nice to have TV pictures coming down from my model aircraft, so I waved my right hand a bit, flexed my right index finger a few times and in ten minutes it was paid for and on it's way from China. My grandfather would have taken longer than that to get the bridle on the horse before he rode to the shop, he viewed telephones as some kind of conjurer's trick that fooled us into believing it worked, and most of his life worked like a demon for outrageous hours to raise his family.
I think we have it remarkably easy by and large, no boiling up the washing in a copper then grinding it about on the scrubbing board before wringing it out by hand. An early frost doesn't mean we go without vegetables for a long period, and hardly any kids get stone-bruises walking to school these days. We do have TV, but it can be turned off fortunately.
Most of those 1910 12 year olds would not have a 65th birthday in their future. They had ricketts, typhoid, polio, and English cars (riddled with Lucas) in their horoscopes; things we are now avoiding.

We don't know how lucky we are. ;)

Trev
01-08-2010, 12:56 AM
How true.

goodiesguy
01-08-2010, 01:42 AM
im 14 and i damn well hate what the world has become, **** tv shows, terrible music, terrible comedy, too much digital **** (cellfones), the loss of vinyl and cassettes as a music format, stupid widescreen tv. heck, i sort of hate color tv a bit too, whats wrong with good old black and white.

man i think i'm living in the past, but i like it that way.

mikebartnz
01-08-2010, 02:40 AM
Got a link?

And even if its true its a worthless comparison, They should have tested some students of the same age on a subject they were currently being taught.
I haven't got a link. It was something I learnt years ago. I find it very convenient that you say it is a worthless comparison as it goes against what you believe. In form four we moved to what was called new maths at the time and as far as I'm concerned it was totally useless and for the next year tried to understand something that was totally illogical and as I remained in the same position within the class I obviously wasn't the only one that found it useless.

mikebartnz
01-08-2010, 02:56 AM
Those 1910 12 year olds had an advantage, they didn't have to learn much history because not much had happened yet,
I don't know what planet you live on but there is more history before 1910 than after it and it stands to reason as there are a few more years involved even though the pace of change as been greater since but most of that change won't really be in the history books 500 years from now.

Cicero
01-08-2010, 07:39 AM
I don't know what planet you live on but there is more history before 1910 than after it and it stands to reason as there are a few more years involved even though the pace of change as been greater since but most of that change won't really be in the history books 500 years from now.

You are right Mike.

Simple exampl,we live longer,but now look like blimps.

prefect
01-08-2010, 09:34 AM

It will probaly appear on Snopes

PinoyKiw
01-08-2010, 02:06 PM
In some ways we are much better off than many years ago but in other ways, maybe not so.

Too much PC crap now days.

And the young one's want everything today we us slightly older one's bought one thing at a time.

And too many people get on the band wagon wanting everything handed to them on a silver plate.

Though on the other hand, we now have better and cheaper international travel, much improved medical services, cellphones and email and spoil ourselves for choice on what we can have compared to our parents.

Depends I suppose on which generation and how you were bought up as to whether today is better than 20 years ago or not.

pctek
01-08-2010, 03:56 PM
And the young one's want everything today

And too many people get on the band wagon wanting everything handed to them on a silver plate.

Actually throughout history people have said much the same thing.
There were some writings from ancient Greece found where they went on about the shocking state of todays youth and so on..........

Some things don't change much.

Lurking
01-08-2010, 04:23 PM
Most of those 1910 12 year olds would not have a 65th birthday in their future. They had ricketts, typhoid and polio. things we are now avoiding.

We don't know how lucky we are. ;)

They missed out on HIV/Aids, Y2k (lol) and those modern pandemics we are now experiencing and scared sh*tless about.

Time for my flu jab!.

Lurking.