PDA

View Full Version : run any app off a USB drive?

wonkotheinsane
29-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Hey, guys, do you have the experience of running your daily used apps off a USB drive?

Which is I am now trying to do. But I find that only portable apps can be run like that.

while some apps like MS office are not portably available. How can I do that?

KarameaDave
29-07-2010, 07:30 PM
You can't
(How is the Cat?)

pcuser42
29-07-2010, 07:44 PM
MojoPac worked great when I used it some time ago :thumbs:

As long as you don't mind using XP only.

Renmoo
29-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Hey, guys, do you have the experience of running your daily used apps off a USB drive?

Which is I am now trying to do. But I find that only portable apps can be run like that.

while some apps like MS office are not portably available. How can I do that?
http://portableapps.com/

In terms of Office Suites, you are probably looking at open source alternatives such as Open Office (OO). Microsoft Office products are tied to the respective computer that they are installed to based on the product key and registry chains.

Illegally, this can be circumvented, but of course we shall not venture into this path.

Cheers and welcome to PressF1 :)

PCT Joe
30-07-2010, 01:31 PM
with the DCMA act revised in the US im sure that if there aren't already fixes there will be soon!

Erayd
30-07-2010, 01:40 PM
with the DCMA act revised in the US im sure that if there aren't already fixes there will be soon!Eh? What revisions did the DMCA get that would allow running MS office from a USB stick? Last time I looked, the latest revisions were very explicit exemptions to allow for fair use in particular problematic cases, and none of them had anything to do with Office...

wonkotheinsane
30-07-2010, 07:05 PM
thanks. tried mojopac, only with a blank screen. it seems not working for me.

anyway, get MS office 2003 suite installed on [edit: spammer blurb removed] and run it on another PC off a USB drive.

PS, that [edit] seems to do some virtulisation. I am not sure but it works for me.

:blush:

Renmoo
30-07-2010, 11:36 PM
It will be quite taxing on your USB drive, especially when it comes to running heavyweight programs such as Office Suites frequently.

Decision is up to you anyway. Flash drives are very cheap these days.

wonkotheinsane
03-08-2010, 04:29 PM
[edit: spam removed]

kahawai chaser
03-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Run/Update a few portable apps, mainly for the benefit of family members, if I need to diagnose/scan their PC's.

Trouble is with portable apps, and I guess with any virtual system, would be the constant updates and upgrades for the software, running scans, troubleshooting (if any), and so on...

Jen
03-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Sorry folks but wonkotheinsane is a class A spammer - s/he is just playing you.

All references to his app (which he is gaily posting over all the www) have been removed.

Payback: :devil

wonkotheinsane@yahoo.com

wonkotheinsane@yahoo.com

wonkotheinsane@yahoo.com