PDA

View Full Version : Win 7: placing links in folders

Michael@home
28-07-2010, 11:02 PM
Upgraded from XP Pro to Win 7 Pro. I may be odd, but I usually make different folders for different projects, and I used to be able to arrange the links to the things I have to do (run home-written analysis files, run Quattro files, run Sigmaplot files, run word files) as links in a nice logical order in these folders. Now, in Win 7, I can't seem to get control of the location of these links and put them in a logical sequence (I used to arrange to a grid, and then move the links around to get what I wanted). Win 7 won't allow me to move the links in the folder view however I tell it to arrange the .lnk files. I can't believe that I'm going to be constrained in this way! I can't tag the links in any way to order them by tag, as I update my Win 7 machine from my work XP machine daily and delete and overwrite and update the links when I do. Does anyone out there know of a fix for this? Thanks.

Snorkbox
28-07-2010, 11:10 PM
I believe you can't arrange links or shortcuts in Win 7 the same way as you could in WinXP.

Best answer will to put numbers in front of the links then sort in Name order.

autechre
29-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Win7 auto-sorts folders into alpha-numeric order and you can't disable it as fas as I know.
Do as Snorkbox advises & put a number in the start of the shortcut name:
01. blah
02. blah blah
etc

angry
29-07-2010, 05:11 PM
Win7 auto-sorts folders into alpha-numeric order and you can't disable it as fas as I know.
Do as Snorkbox advises & put a number in the start of the shortcut name:
01. blah
02. blah blah
etc

so another practical feature of the nt os is gone, replaced with more resource hogging fluff.:annoyed:

Terry Porritt
29-07-2010, 06:10 PM
There appears to have been widespread discontent with MS from early on regarding the removing of the manual arrangement feature in Win 7.

There is a registry hack on this site:
http://www.windows7taskforce.com/view/3353 that is supposed to restore arranging files/shortcuts/links/pictures etc as was possible in XP

feersumendjinn
29-07-2010, 08:58 PM
http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=110452

KarameaDave
29-07-2010, 11:53 PM
Yes 2 steps forward, 3 steps back.