PDA

View Full Version : Replace inkjet printer

rumpty
28-07-2010, 04:54 PM
The inkjet printer(s) in this house just don't get enough use. When we go to use one, it has quite likely run out of ink, or a jet has blocked.

Does the ink dry up when the printer is sitting there unused, by the way?

So, my question is, does a mono laser printer cope better than an inkjet with occasional use? Do they "dry out" their toner, or whatever, when sitting around?

bob_doe_nz
28-07-2010, 05:24 PM
So, my question is, does a mono laser printer cope better than an inkjet with occasional use?
Much better. Have a 1995 mono laser that still works fine and dandy albiet slow as a dog. (e.g PDF printing)

Do they "dry out" their toner, or whatever, when sitting around?
Nope. It's a fine dusty particle that is applied onto the paper which is heated to merge it on.

The only thing you might find is sometimes the newer ones may run a 'cleaning' process every so often automatically.

Trev
28-07-2010, 05:32 PM
To stop your inkjet from becoming blocked from lack of use just print off the test picture about once a month or so.
:)

rumpty
28-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Much better. Have a 1995 mono laser that still works fine and dandy albiet slow as a dog. (e.g PDF printing)

Nope. It's a fine dusty particle that is applied onto the paper which is heated to merge it on.

The only thing you might find is sometimes the newer ones may run a 'cleaning' process every so often automatically.

This sounds interesting. I will have to do some window shopping.

Trev, you're right, these inkjets need a regular outing!

bob_doe_nz
28-07-2010, 07:04 PM
This sounds interesting. I will have to do some window shopping.

Well, I have an old Laserjet 5p if you want to play with it. It's Parallel Port only, so will be sluggish as hell.

rumpty
29-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Well, I have an old Laserjet 5p if you want to play with it. It's Parallel Port only, so will be sluggish as hell.

Thanks very much for the offer. You are not using it these days then? In Auckland somewhere?

I have also found that we have a friend along the road who uses a mono laser printer, so I'll check that one too.

bob_doe_nz
29-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Just off the Otara motorway off ramp. (OOOOHHHHHHHHHH)

29-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Check the price of replacement carts when buying any printer
also check the number of pages each cart can print (will be very approx)

rumpty
29-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Check the price of replacement carts when buying any printer
also check the number of pages each cart can print (will be very approx)
Thanks for the tip.

bob_doe_nz - I'll send you a PM for details when I can get out there. I'm on the western side of the city.

B.M.
29-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Iíve got an el-cheapo Canon MP210 which is turned off for a month or more at a time whilst Iím overseas and it bursts into life as soon as I get home and turn it on.

Cost me $29 (with $20 cash back) and I canít fault the thing.

Well done Canon youíve got me hooked. :thumbs: