PDA

View Full Version : Hotmail new look

QW.
28-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Has anybody seen the new look that hotmail has been given?

Looks horrible to me. Prefer the old layout of hotmail

GreacherTech
28-07-2010, 11:08 AM
You will get use to it..

wratterus
28-07-2010, 11:12 AM
People still use hotmail? Horrible, spam filled advertising board! :badpc:

QW.
28-07-2010, 12:30 PM
People still use hotmail? Horrible, spam filled advertising board! :badpc:

I do. Easier to use than Yahoo and Gmail.

wratterus
28-07-2010, 12:38 PM
In which way do you find it easier than gmail?

Marnie
28-07-2010, 12:38 PM
I use hotmail via windows live mail. Are we talking about the same thing? I had to go and have a look after reading your post. I never click on their (or anyone elses) ads. It's free and we do have a choice whether to use it or not. I also find that as long as your security settings are appropriate they are very efficient at separating the junk.

QW.
28-07-2010, 12:45 PM
In which way do you find it easier than gmail?

Drag and drop emails into certain folders.

Also has much better settings so I can only recieve email from my contacts or safe senders.

Chilling_Silence
28-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Dragging and dropping is easier than selecting from a drop-down menu? Sure, maybe, but your second point is relatively moot when the spam filter is as good as Gmails ;)

mikebartnz
28-07-2010, 10:08 PM
but your second point is relatively moot when the spam filter is as good as Gmails ;)
I have only ever had one false positive with Gmail and no spam has ever got through. Their spam filter is excellent.

notechyet
29-07-2010, 07:48 AM
I have only ever had one false positive with Gmail and no spam has ever got through. Their spam filter is excellent.

I think we just about have too much Google, though their email is absolutely second to none. Have been using for years and cannot remember any spam coming through or so little I can't remember.

QW.
29-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Dragging and dropping is easier than selecting from a drop-down menu? Sure, maybe, but your second point is relatively moot when the spam filter is as good as Gmails ;)

Have used both Hotmail and Gmail and found that I prefered hotmail compared to Gmail.

Hotmail is fine for what I need it to do.

nmercer
29-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Has anybody seen the new look that hotmail has been given?

Looks horrible to me. Prefer the old layout of hotmail

I'm curious to know exactly what it is you don't like in the new Hotmail layout

Could you please explain/describe?

QW.
29-07-2010, 11:15 PM
I'm curious to know exactly what it is you don't like in the new Hotmail layout

Could you please explain/describe?

The fact that it doesn't work with older versions of Internet Explorer and Firefox.

Can read emails but not compose an email.

GameJunkie
29-07-2010, 11:21 PM
The fact that it doesn't work with older versions of Internet Explorer and Firefox.

Can read emails but not compose an email.

works fine for me when i use it in FF, regardless of whatever version it is.

can't compose emails either????? really??

and in any case gmail is vastly superior to anything else out there

QW.
29-07-2010, 11:24 PM

Can't click in the area where you type the text.

GameJunkie
29-07-2010, 11:27 PM
Can't click in the area where you type the text.

i can just fine.

nmercer
30-07-2010, 05:43 AM
works fine for me when i use it in FF, regardless of whatever version it is.

and in any case gmail is vastly superior to anything else out there

vastly superior? have you tried the new Hotmail yet?

GameJunkie
30-07-2010, 11:19 AM
vastly superior? have you tried the new Hotmail yet?

yes i have

nmercer
30-07-2010, 05:32 PM
yes i have

cool, I wonder if you tried any of the new features

I think it really is superior to Gmail now

especially with
Conversation view that can be turned off
Active Views that let you view content like Flickr & Youtube from within Hotmail
attach up to 200 50Mb photos to an email (yes that is 10GB)
Office Web Apps that gives you online versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote built into Hotmail

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_live/b/windowslive/archive/2010/05/18/re-inventing-windows-live-hotmail-the-next-generation-of-personal-email.aspx

Chilling_Silence
30-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Not wanting to nitpick, I'm sure millions of hotmail users are grateful that it's caught up with the pack, but it does leave me wondering:

Why would anybody want to turn off conversation view? There's a reason why Apple have made it standard in iOS4 and why you can (apparently? I've not used it first hand) use it in Hotmail too. There's basically no reason *not* to want conversation-threaded emails...

10GB emails? Geez I can see exchange admins everywhere loving that ... ? I thought 10MB was the general limit most companies have for email? Except, they're not actually being emailed are they, but just linked to your Skydrive :-/
Still, 25GB of online storage with Skydrive is generous of Microsoft. Google only offer ~8GB I think for Gmail?

Embedded YouTube, UPS tracking and easy Doc Editing is nice, but still just catch-up ;)