PDA

View Full Version : Packard Bell OEM install

03-09-2001, 04:12 PM
My trusty PB600 has trundled on for about a year, but it's starting to creak. I girded my loins for a re-format and reinstall for W98, but blow me down, I haven't got past the doorstep. When I insert the Recovery Disk it grinds away, then abruptly informs me that 'the machine doesn't have any valid information', then hangs. The PB help desk tells me that I have to send the CPU to Christchurch 'because some information that we put on there must have been corrupted'.

How can this be? What information? And why would I have to send the beast from Dunedin to Christchurch - surely these days a patch for whatever ails the thing cd be emailed to me?

Or is this just another collusive practice designed to keep Bill happy?

Anybody have any ideas about how I can break PB's hold on my PC?

03-09-2001, 08:52 PM
Tip for the future, dont buy an OEM pc.

What exactly did you do to the computer before you tried the restore disk. It may need a working FAT partition to restore to (i've seen an HP restore disk that just unzipped everything from the cd).

Another thing i've seen done is they put the restore files on a seperate partition of the HDD, if you reformatted that then you have lost the files need to restore (its not very nice advertising a 4GB hdd and filling 1.5 of it with a restore disk).

Personally what I would do is borrow a windows 98 disk and install it using your product key. I think there is nothing wrong with that, but I think the beast of redmond would disagree.

03-09-2001, 09:19 PM
Yr comment abt OEM is well taken, but 2b honest the issue never arose b4; my even-more-trusty 166 came with W95 CD...paranoia rules now!