PDA

View Full Version : Win7 network backup

gary67
27-07-2010, 08:51 PM
So I just learned that home pre doesn't do network backups, bummer. Have always used Acronis on my XP machines to image to a network computer. I use True Image 11 which supposedly doesn't do Win7. Although mine does backup I haven't been able to try it out which is why I thought I would use Windows built in backup tool.

Does anyone else use something to image a Win7 64bit machine over a network and that they know actually does work. Not too concerned as all data is backed up separately anyway so I could reinstall if I had a problem.

:thanks

gary67
27-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Just downloading the WD version of TI since I have a WD drive although not sure what my main C drive is Hmm C drive is Seagate and D is WD so will see

gary67
27-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Hmm not being the full version of TI the WD version cannot be scheduled bummer

gary67
27-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Now using Paragon backup free which does all I want it to on Win 7 64bit, guess I answered my own questions

wainuitech
27-07-2010, 10:02 PM
If you wanted to do a bit of "manual" imaging you can do it with WINPE.

Bit like some DOS commands -- Good fun.

WINPE can make a .wim file that can then be imaged over a LAN or to the local drive then copy to a network storage, which can be imaged back over the LAN.

Its similar of what programs like Acronis do, but without the GUI.

gary67
27-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Hmm not very good with DOS, I started computers at Win95

KarameaDave
27-07-2010, 10:38 PM
Could you have run True Image 11 in compatibility mode for XP?
(Right click the True Image exe>properties>compatibility>tick 'run in compatibility mode for XP sp3') this allowed me to run a couple of programs that have issues with Win7
(Canon Camerawindow and TVGo)

gary67
28-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Never mind doing a complete reinstall as it crashed completely

gary67
29-07-2010, 08:00 AM
So just to update.

Paragon back up free 10.2 64bit which says it works with Windows 7 completely crashed my system it was so bad the C drive wasn't bootable and couldn't be rcovered needing a complete reinstall

SolMiester
29-07-2010, 10:11 AM
So I just learned that home pre doesn't do network backups, bummer. Have always used Acronis on my XP machines to image to a network computer. I use True Image 11 which supposedly doesn't do Win7. Although mine does backup I haven't been able to try it out which is why I thought I would use Windows built in backup tool.

Does anyone else use something to image a Win7 64bit machine over a network and that they know actually does work. Not too concerned as all data is backed up separately anyway so I could reinstall if I had a problem.

:thanks

Yes, I use Windows 7 backup & Image to backup TO a network! Are you saying the Windows 7 backup wont allow you to backup to a network location?

wainuitech
29-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Yes, I use Windows 7 backup & Image to backup TO a network! Are you saying the Windows 7 backup wont allow you to backup to a network location? If Gary is using Windows 7 Home Premium, then that wont back up to a network location with the W7 backup. It only has the options of to another Hard Drive, or DVD's.

WinPE will though. :D

SolMiester
29-07-2010, 11:53 AM
If Gary is using Windows 7 Home Premium, then that wont back up to a network location with the W7 backup. It only has the options of to another Hard Drive, or DVD's.

WinPE will though. :D

Ahhhh, forgot how Home Premium is crippled!

gary67
29-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Yep Home pre never mind backing up an image to my D then backing that up with Syncback to my back up storage device

wainuitech
30-07-2010, 01:22 PM
There is a Better option, and not using WinPE- it DOES work on Windows 7 Home Pre (or any other OS for that matter) over a network.

Not free but it does work. Its called Active@disk Image. Personally I use the Active@bootDisk (http://www.ntfs.com/boot-disk.htm) -- Its got a load of programs, Imaging, Password Changing only to list a few, GOOD value for money :thumbs:

Teh Demo of the boot disk works for 10 Days on the imaging side - long enough to try it. The password changer wont let you actually change the password until paid for.

I just did a timed test - a fresh install of W7 HP to a networked PC, Booted from the CD - 15 minutes to image the drive -- then wiped the drive, Booted from the CD again and imaged it back over the LAN -- took 17 Minutes from empty drive to fully back up and going again - all updates/ Programs the lot.

IF you want to give it a try -- let me know back here -- theres a few "tricks' that took a while to figure out that will save you lots of :waughh: as to Imaging over a LAN.

gary67
30-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Will have a look into it, $39 US is not expensive either. Just out of interest what is the name of the data recovery software you use I have forgotten it

wainuitech
30-07-2010, 08:33 PM
never actually used the standalone Diskimage -- always used the BootableCD as linked, since it has several other programs I use all the time as well.

The disk image does do a good job when imaging to a USB drive.

Finally figured out yesterday how to use the program to a Networked Drive (the instructions are not exactly clear) I will put together some instructions and post back to save you the hassle of figuring it out.

Stay tuned as they say. :D

The recovery software I use a lot, is GetDataBack (http://www.runtime.org/) -- Once again not free, but does a damn good job, better than all the others I have tried (free ones)

gary67
30-07-2010, 08:48 PM
That would be much appreciated, just worked out it would only cost $52NZ so possibly next week will get onto it

wainuitech
30-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Part ONE:

Right -- downloaded the actual stand alone program ( demo) installed it -- Works sweet over the LAN, nothing really to explain -- Basic enough to work out.

About the only thing you need to do is select the complete drive when imaging W7, as it also contains the system partition As shown here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Capture11280476467.png) -- Imaging the drive over the LAN as I type this -- 8 Minutes.

The only thing I'm not to sure about is the Bootable media to image it back, The description says it comes with it, but its not available on the trial version in the stand alone program, so maybe it is when you pay for it -- BUT download the installer and bootable CD under the main download. 123MB. -- That contains the actual disk image program (demo) and bootable CD creator -- Downloading that now and will make a CD to see whats what.

You need the CD--- lets say you have a blank drive, you need that to boot from and pull back the image.

The Screen shot (http://www.disk-image.net/screenshots/bootdisk.png) from their site shows the menu, it has the network option which can be the tricky part.

Going to wipe drive and image it back now. :D

wainuitech
30-07-2010, 09:42 PM
Part two:

The backup Via the CD is exactly the same as the bootable CD I mentioned in the original suggestion, The other download I suggested 123MB, which contains both the Program and CD both come with the 21 day demo.

Any way -it works.

Wouldn't it rip ya undies -- I was going to put in screen shots to show what I'm about to write -- Bloody battery in the camera is dead :crying

Only managed to get one screen shot from the actual imaging program, and saved it over the LAN, BUT had to connect it first.--heres how:

You have to do this to drag the image back over a LAN.

Boot from the CD:
Start - Network -- Open network Configurator
On the following tabs -- Network Identification (change your workgroup to what yours is)

Firewall Tab - Turn off.

Click Set ( wait a second or two) then apply. Close window.

Start - Network - Map Network drive
In letter -- leave as is or select another - doesn't matter.

( the part that GRRRR me; On the words: " Connect using a different User name" open it and type in the name the PC is using that you want to connect to Example (mine) User Name: Server Password: ----------

In the Folder path TYPE in the location, (mines in a folder called test on the server Example: \\Server\Test

Click OK etc.

Assuming that's all OK you have now mapped the shared folder.

Click start / Programs / Disk Image -- Image to Disk - in the folder, click Browse, Drop Down Box select your mapped drive -- Navigate to the image - keep clicking Next -- Till you get to This option (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/untitled1280478934.png) - Select the lot - next etc, and it will start to image back -- go make a cuppa.:p

It may sound a little daunting, but its not once you figure it out. Takes longer to write and read this garble than to actually do :p

What I'll do is get some more batteries tomorrow and make a short video - then I'll post a link so you can see its quite easy.

gary67
30-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Your a legend Thanks very much your time is appreciated. Downloading now and will try it out tomorrow sometime after doing my chores and going for a ride

gary67
31-07-2010, 05:49 PM
Just doing my first backup using active disk image, running the 21 day trial but so far looks good. I don't have another HDD to test it with so can I test it using a virtual drive and if so which one would be best to try.

wainuitech
31-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Pass on the Virtual HDD. :confused:

Never tried it, But I suspect it wont work.

Reason: when booting from the recovery CD to image back, you have to select a HDD to recover too.

I doubt a Virtual HDD would be seen as that's actually not a "real" HDD.

One way to test if you can recover OK back from your storage device/PC, is boot from the recovery CD - work through the complete process upto the point of selecting the HDD - if it goes OK to there - STOP, unless you want to put the image back.

It will be exactly the same as when you imaged it. Pending a failed image, it "should" be fine as long as you selected all the check boxes when imaging both ways. Never had it fail to image yet.

PS: Video still coming on how to image back if you want it.

gary67
31-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Pity was hoping I could never mind will do what you said as soon as I have burnt the disc, video would be cool thanks. Last question I hope the install gave me active boot disc as well, when you buy the program does it then enable you to do incremental backups on schedule as at the moment it won't let me on the trial version

wainuitech
31-07-2010, 09:27 PM
If you downloaded the 123MB Download Circled here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Active@.jpg) there is the Disk Image and CD boot creator.

The creator allows you to make the bootable CD.

The same Product key is used to activate both programs - I tried it ;)

PM coming tomorrow so keep an eye out

incremental backups on schedule Pass - have not tried it, but I will have a look tomorrow as long as SWMBO lets me out to "Play" :lol:

Movie night Now :clap

gary67
31-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Same here off to watch something funny don't know what step son chose it

wainuitech
01-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Well made the Video --Here it is (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJK6EcVxly4) uploaded to youtube. When you look at the time, when it starts to image back, its counting down fast, the whole drive took just over 14 minutes to image back. (using the demo version of the recovery CD)

Funny side of it:

Do you know how hard it is to hold a digital Camera, normally used for still photos, film a process, stay on the screen, moving between camera and keyboard/Mouse type and move the mouse all at the same time, in near darkness, because the lights caused to much of a reflection on the screen :waughh: :lol:

I dont think Peter Jackson will have to worry about my filming skills :lol: Ended up putting the cam on the top of the PC, and moving about propping up with a CD.

Warning -- if you get sea sick easy dont watch it :p. Just for a laugh I added music as well to it here -- Lovely Dovely (not uploaded).

ANY WAY --
when you buy the program does it then enable you to do incremental backups on schedule as at the moment it won't let me on the trial version Yes to both. The Incremental shows Like this option (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Backup_(Large).JPG) when doing a recovery.

The Schedule does open BUT -- Because I was doing it over the Network it failed for some reason, but worked perfectly manually, doesn't allow Incremental and Differential imaging though in the Schedule -- Its everything (Whole HDD) or nothing.

So may pay to do it manually if you want the whole drive, or some other back up program to copy personal data.

gary67
01-08-2010, 08:03 PM
All done and dusted bought the software I can install on 3 computers, can schedule backups but only full ones incremental or differential backups can only be done manually, have burnt the boot disk and so far am very happy with it. I would like to offer thanks to Wainuitech for stepping me through this and testing the software before I bought it which worked out to be $53nz. The video was good Peter Jackson eat your heart out Wellington has a new director :devil