PDA

View Full Version : USB memory stick questions

beetle
27-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Ok we finally got a 4GB memory stick, and plug it in and sometimes the puter recognises its there, The daughter wants to save a M Word doc to it, ( for school homework) what is the best / easiest way to do this? im presuming it is the my comps settings, as removable device (F)

yeah we noobs at this, please be gentle and help us??
:)
beetle

Speedy Gonzales
27-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Depends how many devices on your system, on what letter it is. It could be any letter between E-Z. Only way to find out double click on the letter. If whatever you've saved is there, that's the USB flash drive

beetle
27-07-2010, 07:56 PM
ok.............we not sure how to save to it......... sigh....... if we hit send to it doesnt show, and saving it just saves to the prog, how can we direct it to the stick?

maybe its obvious but i dont know how right at this moment :)

beetle

Snorkbox
27-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Open My Computer and it should show there as a removable drive. Note down the drive letter.

Then open the document in Word and click File > Save as X:/filename.doc where X: is the USB Drive you noted down earlier.

Speedy Gonzales
27-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Just go to save as, click on the letter / give it a name / save (once you find out what the letter is). And remember to save it in a format, so the other computer/s (if you're going to use it on other PC/s), can load the format

beetle
27-07-2010, 08:16 PM
what do you mean another format?

it will be a microsoft word doc???? save as txt? brain isnt working well tonight not sure what you saying..

beetle:illogical

Snorkbox
27-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Just save as a .doc Beetle.

Speedy Gonzales
27-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Well if you plug it into another computer that is. Obviously if you save it in a format that the other program can't open, it'll look like chinese

Paul.Cov
28-07-2010, 08:18 AM
What they're getting at is that MS trys to force eveyone to upgrade their Office aps. The latest strategy is to have the latest Word versions save in this damned docx format, which will come out as garbage on an older version of word, so you need to pay attention to the file extension / file format / compatibility options in Word and in the Save dialog box.

Too many users have their file extensions hidden and consequently have no idea why folks are having difficulty with their docs (which is exactly what MS want, as the solution for novices is to fork out hundreds for the latest version of Office)

Whenu
28-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Hi Beetle, if the memory stick is new, insert into a usb port, wait for the new hardware balloons that appear in the bottom right of your screen to finish running, then right-click on the Start button and choose 'Explore all users'.
Look for a drive called "Removable ***', double-click on that drive to open and make sure the drive is empty, if empty, right-click the drive title and in the box click on Format.
Change the drive name to something of your choosing, tick quick format box, if the drive is empty, click Yes then click Start.When finished, click Close and the drive should show in Windows Explorer ready to save files to.

kahawai chaser
28-07-2010, 11:52 AM
As an alternative to Word, maybe try Abiword (http://www.abisource.com/) and it's portable version (http://portableapps.com/apps/office/abiword_portable) from portable apps. Should be able to convert between their formats.

SP8's
28-07-2010, 12:04 PM
The easiest way I find (or my daughter does) is to save the .doc to her "homework" folder in My Documents on the main computer HD. To save it from there to the USB drive is a simple right click > send to > and the appropriate USB Drive Letter (usually it shows up as a USB drive after the drive letter anyway.

Best thing is, she has a copy on the main computer if anything untoward happens to the USB drive ... like loosing it !

To save it as a .doc in 2007 click on Office Logo in top left corner > options > save as 2003 .doc In 2010, click on file > options > and it gives you options to save as Office 2000, 2003, 2007 or 2010 formats.

Easy as .... just spent the last week trying to figure it all out ...

Robin S_
01-08-2010, 01:06 AM
If you think that anyone who might want to open the document has an older version than yours, save the doc in word 2003 (or even 2000) format. In this way anyone using a version later than the one in which the doc is saved will be able to open it as any version will open any document saved in an older version.
Sp8's's suggestion to save a copy on your own HDD is right on - you then have an original copy if anything goes wrong.