PDA

View Full Version : Jailbreaking is now legal

KarameaDave
27-07-2010, 09:43 AM
http://www.osnews.com/story/23607/Big_Loss_for_Apple_Library_of_Congress_Makes_Jailb reaking_Legal

:devil

Battleneter2
27-07-2010, 10:22 AM
http://www.osnews.com/story/23607/Big_Loss_for_Apple_Library_of_Congress_Makes_Jailb reaking_Legal

:devil

Well thats US law and has "nothing" to do with NZ law which is based on the Britsh system.

Jailbreaking is not likely to be illegal here. In fact its unlikely to "even" void warranty if tested, as here the modification generatlly needs to be proven as the cause of the failure. Very grey area but I am remember a few cases where non apporved parts were added to PC's and manufactures (aka improters) tried to void warranty.

KarameaDave
27-07-2010, 10:28 AM
I'm aware of the difference between our legal system and theirs, however if you believe our legal system is independent of US influence then you are a bit naive in my opinion. What I find interesting is that crApple are starting to no longer have things all their own way.

PaulD
27-07-2010, 10:48 AM
I'm aware of the difference between our legal system and theirs, however if you believe our legal system is independent of US influence then you are a bit naive in my opinion. What I find interesting is that crApple are starting to no longer have things all their own way.

There was specific exemption for methods to defeat regional coding in the NZ laws on copyright. That didn't please the US lobby.

Agent_24
27-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Brilliant.

Battleneter2
27-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Ihowever if you believe our legal system is independent of US influence then you are a bit naive in my opinion.

Actually our Legal system is VERY independent of the US system and there is very little influence. We are historically a British colony not a US colony!

As above what is copyright law in the US does "necessarily" apply here and a lot is not tested.

Chilling_Silence
27-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Good stuff!

See, the US *can* get -some- things right! ;)

KarameaDave
27-07-2010, 01:12 PM
I don't argue with what you are saying Battleneter2...in theory.
However I am concerned about the closed-door ACTA negotiations
that have been going on.
The present set of monkeys we have in power
would do almost anything for the proverbial 'Free Trade Agreement'
so may sign our freedoms away in exchange for better access to the
U.S market.

The Error Guy
27-07-2010, 03:48 PM
Saw this on Neowin, stoked!!! no more of those out dated DVD's and blu-ray disks. slap em on me laptop!!

ubergeek85
27-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Not bad. How long until apple gets in trouble for issuing updates that brick jailbroken iPhones. Again.

Now, if only I cared enough to get an iPhone...