PDA

View Full Version : Error - Cannot find operating system.

SP8's
26-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Message as above on a Toshiba Lappy. Do the Ctrl+Alt+Del and Windows (Vista Home Basic) starts up normally.

It has only happened twice but I'm concerned it may be the beginning of something worse.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

PS. No CD/DVD's in drive, no USB attached, no actual error code or beeps.

gcarmich
26-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Hard drive could be failing.

Paul.Cov
26-07-2010, 07:53 PM
It may be nothing major, then again, it may be an early warning of disaster.

Best bet is take a complete drive image ASAP... and don't keep that image or the imaging software on the C: drive!

It may just be a dodgey contact. I've got a troublesome SATA data cable. 1st boot sometimes fails to find the Sata drive. Jiggle the cable, reboot, and all is back to normal. Your situation could be similar.

SP8's
26-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Got everything backed up. Just waiting for the ...........

wainuitech
26-07-2010, 10:50 PM
You can also take out the HDD, blow it out in case theres any crap, then plug it back in - sometimes a tiny bit of dust is all it takes.

Agent_24
27-07-2010, 11:12 AM
I would check the HDD. Install and run Speedfan and see if it gives any indication of problems under SMART status (You will probably need to run it as administrator)

Friend of mine had a similar issue with a brand new Sony laptop, the HDD died after about a month.

SP8's
27-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Thanks Wainui ... I'll check it all out tonight and give it a blow out with compressed air.

Agent 24 ... I'll run a check tonight, but don't like the Sony bit !! LoL

Agent_24
27-07-2010, 11:48 AM
Well it's not too big of a deal if the drive dies, You can buy drives fairly cheaply anyway, and probably a lot bigger than whatever's already in there.

Apart from data loss of course - so definitely backup anything you need especially if SMART does report some kind of issue.

Billy T
27-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Thanks Wainui ... I'll check it all out tonight and give it a blow out with compressed air.

You can only blow out the contacts, you can't (and shouldn't try to) blow out the interior of the drive, that would pretty much be the end of it. Generally speaking unplugging then replugging the connectors cleans the contacts quite effectively, unless they are covered in nicotine or coffee.

Dust does not normally affect correctly mated plug and socket contacts anyway, it can't get into the mating area and corrosion is a more likely cause. Again, replugging as above will usually take care of that in the short term.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)