PDA

View Full Version : PC vs Console First Person shooter gameing

Battleneter2
25-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Looks like the console kiddies couldn't take the heat :P

http://www.techwatch.co.uk/2010/07/22/microsoft-canned-pc-vs-xbox-cross-platform-gaming/

The Error Guy
25-07-2010, 12:17 PM
the 360 is good for some things but not others (being a PC + Console gamer) basicly its just a controller issue, give the 360 gamers a keyboards and mouse and they should kick ass.

Battleneter2
25-07-2010, 12:19 PM
the 360 is good for some things but not others (being a PC + Console gamer) basicly its just a controller issue, give the 360 gamers a keyboards and mouse and they should kick ass.

bahahah still laughing

Speedy Gonzales
25-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Well you can connect a wireless adapter for a kb to an Xbox 360. I tried it, it works. But, I havent actually tried to see if this works in a game

ryanjames.powell
25-07-2010, 01:31 PM
You can't actually use a keyboard and mouse in game on a 360, you would need a device to make it emulate a controller. You can connect the keyboard and use it to type in text fields, but that's about it. There is actually a device you can buy that can make a keyboard and mouse emulate a 360 controller.

Speedy Gonzales
25-07-2010, 01:34 PM
True. Well you can use Xbox controllers on a PC. Cant see why you cant do it the other way. I used to use a kb on the Xbox, but got a chatpad instead. Which interfaces with the controller. A lot easier, if someone wants to chat. Saves me having to muck around with the controller

The Error Guy
25-07-2010, 02:12 PM
I've done it on my jtagged 360 (keyboard) its not too hard to write the emulator code, unfortunately its not supported anymore and I don't have the file (which was open source) so I can't re-build it for the latest release

Greven
25-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Once you add in a keyboard and mouse, you have to put a lot more thought into your setup. Instead of lying down on the couch with a controller, you have to sit up & have a table at the correct height in order to efficiently use your input devices. If more console games gain keyboard support they will have to make controller only game lobbies for the majority who enjoy using a limited but convenient input device safe in the knowledge that everyone else has the same limitation.

People prefer consoles because they can't be bothered with all that & it is a lot easier to have a quick game with a friend because most console games support split screen multi-player.

pctek
25-07-2010, 02:53 PM
I read that the other day and ignored it cause it sounded like fanboy spite ranting.

Maybe it's true (lame PC players versus ultra console players who lose anyway) but so what. Console gamers outnumber PC gamers because of the cost of being a PC gamer.

Ok not all do spend a lot but look at JJJJJs PCs. And I have a friend who bought a PS3 in the ned, he couldn't afford to keep upgrading (at all).

Agent_24
25-07-2010, 03:41 PM
FPS games on consoles are a sad and pathetic joke.

Greven
25-07-2010, 03:48 PM
FPS games on consoles are a sad and pathetic joke.

If you are a serious gamer, then yes they are. However, if you just want to sit down in front of the fire & have a quick game then they are great.

Battleneter2
25-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Actually over the last week I have been playing a bit of Halo wars (a RTS game) on my 360. Its actually fairly fun but its kinda like playing a RTS in slow motion, definitely another type of game that doesn't really work on console.

Agent_24
26-07-2010, 02:02 AM
If you are a serious gamer, then yes they are. However, if you just want to sit down in front of the fire & have a quick game then they are great.

FPS + Console games controller does not = quick

Last time I tried playing an FPS on a console was Medal of Honor I think, on a PS2. The game was clearly designed to allow several seconds where the enemies did not fire at you so you could try to aim at them....

Gobe1
26-07-2010, 01:51 PM
I have been playing MAG on the PS3 a lot lately and i have sort of plateaued on my skill. It is one thing trying to shoot bots but another thing entirely trying to shoot human players. I empty entire clips and they dont go down, then i go around a corner and boom one shot im dead (with a pistol wtf).

FPS + Console games controller does not = quick (especially in my situation lol) its players like me that give others good scores

bob_doe_nz
26-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Currently playing Bioshock 2 on an Xbox360.

As a KB and mouse user, the control pad took a little getting used to. Still no good at aiming though.

Agent_24
26-07-2010, 04:47 PM
I don't think it's possible to aim properly at all with a controller joystick.

I wonder why they don't bring back the light gun controller...

Battleneter2
26-07-2010, 06:35 PM

Thats not going to help with Starcraft 2 :P

Agent_24
26-07-2010, 08:29 PM
Yeah but it might be useful for FPS games...

Though I suspect it would need some extra features, maybe a sixaxis thing so you can move as well as aim

ubergeek85
26-07-2010, 10:51 PM

Lightguns only work on CRT's. I like the idea though, and the Wii is on the right track, if only the big N would stop churning out shovelware mario games, and let in a few 3rd-party dev's.

Edit; it might help if they gave the Wii a bit more power than a calculator, too.

Gobe1
28-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Currently playing Bioshock 2 on an Xbox360.

As a KB and mouse user, the control pad took a little getting used to. Still no good at aiming though.

Nice, this is my first FPS on a control pad. I dont think i will ever be real good. I have improved a little but.

Actually im waiting on the first FPS that has a pretend ak47 you stand in front of the monitor and point and shoot, like the old arcade games...operation something