PDA

View Full Version : Free Forum Software - Recommendations

johcar
24-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Can anyone recommend a free hosted forum or free forum software package?

Our cycling group is currently using ForumCircle (for the last 4 years or so), but, of late, the up-time seems to be taking a hammering. I know I can't really complain for the price (it's free), but our Forum is a core part of the group and the expectation is that it is available when WE want it to be available...

So what we're looking for is one of two things: a reliable forum host (free) or a free software package that I could get installed on our webserver (preferably Windows-compatible rather than Linux-based as my PHP skills are non-existent - unless I get another hosting subscription and upskill!).

Whichever solution selected, it would need to have reasonably sophisticated Admin functions...

(My preference would be for something provided and already hosted, so I wouldn't have to spend too much time on the technical admin)

EDIT: Another functional requirement is "Broadcast Email"...

Metla
24-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Your hosting company may supply one that can be installed with a single click in the control panel.

stu161204
24-07-2010, 01:18 PM
You can’t go wrong with phpBB http://www.phpbb.com/ (And its free!)

If you need any help with it, I am more then happy to help.

Cato
24-07-2010, 01:34 PM
PunBB too.

johcar
24-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Good thinking Metla - I will check...

johcar
24-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Thanks Stu - will keep you in mind...

ubergeek85
24-07-2010, 07:33 PM
+1 for phpBB.

Easy. Rock solid. No real PHP knowledge needed.

pcuser42
24-07-2010, 07:49 PM
How about MyBB?

hueybot3000
24-07-2010, 10:14 PM
MyBB is pretty decent, as is phpBB, both are very easy to create templates for as well. Well not to a beginner but if you understand colour codes changin the colours etc is easy.

Im currently playin with another one Ive found called Simple Machines (link is to a test install I did) (http://www.joomla.lemusart.co.nz/)

Haven't done much with it yet but it seems pretty powerful.

If you want it hosted send me a PM, can also setup an install of anything you want to try and give you an account to play with.

Plenty of free ones out there though