PDA

View Full Version : Eee900 SSD dead - Replacements?

Chilling_Silence
24-07-2010, 01:44 PM
So my grandads Eee900 SSD (4GB) looks like it's given up the ghost entirely now.

Have absolutely no idea why either :-/ It's recognized in the BIOS, and windows / linux show it as being in there, but nothing reads / writes from it. I tried deleting / recreating the partition table, but even that fails.

So as far as I'm concerned it's a write-off. Installing an OS onto the Flash drive is a no-go, its INSANELY slow.

Any ideas about a replacement for the SSD? Asus don't seem to do them from what I can see?

Cheers

Chill.

somebody
24-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Unless you can find one 2nd hand, it'll probably be cheaper just replacing the Eee.

You could install an OS onto an SD card (I've done it before) but it is quite frustrating.

Agent_24
24-07-2010, 06:02 PM
I assume your Eee has the SSD in a slot and can be easily replaced such as here?
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2009/02/upgrading_the_ssd_in_an_eee_pc_900.html

You should be able to find a replacement without too much trouble but you may have to buy it from overseas and get it sent here.

Forget Asus, they will charge you a million dollars

eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Super-Talent-16GB-MLC-Mini-PCIe-SSD-Asus-900-901-/270606886384?cmd=ViewItem&pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item3f016d65f0

They said they do international shipping in the auction, you'd have to ask them how much I guess, seems like a good deal, you get a capacity upgrade too!

mzee
24-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Some time ago I saw something about replacing the Eeee ssd on the Eee forum. I don't have the URL but Google will probably show it.

trinsic
25-07-2010, 02:31 AM
Unless you can find one 2nd hand, it'll probably be cheaper just replacing the Eee.

You could install an OS onto an SD card (I've done it before) but it is quite frustrating.
These netbooks use mPCI-e SSD's and are fairly cheap on eBay.

Not all that fast and don't work on other laptops mainly because mPCI-e wasn't designed to provide storage.

qazwsxokmijn
25-07-2010, 02:38 AM
mPCI-e? So these netbooks don't use a standard SATA interface? Cause if yes then wouldn't any SSD fit since all SSDs are 2.5"?