PDA

View Full Version : Restarting ME in MS-DOS

03-09-2001, 11:24 AM
Hi,
Tried out Win ME, big mistake, what a peice of crap.
So I go to restart in DOS to format and install 98se back on it but, no MS-DOS.
Was there a way I could have restarted in DOS? I took the HD out and formated it in another PC. Do people actuall like Win ME?!?!

Ken.

03-09-2001, 12:03 PM
MSDOS is still there, just not very accessible. The easiest way is to create a boot disk and use this.

03-09-2001, 12:17 PM
Hi. You can use your boot disc to get to dos, or open a dos window by going Start, Run then type command.

Found ME to be wonderful following a full clean install and would still be using it if it supported my firewall.

03-09-2001, 03:55 PM
gidday, I also run se and installed ME found it worked well with the exception it made my cpu run higher, something HP coulnt seem to be able to fathom. however, I just uninstalled ME and reverted back to se.
cheers,
Bob

03-09-2001, 08:16 PM
Installed ME the day it was released. It took about 3 months to sort out the problems.I would never go back to 98SE. I no longer have lock-ups etc. and my system just purrs along nicely. Dos is still there it is just hidden. you can download a patch to enable it from a site which I think is called Tweak something or other. I have it on floppy but as I don't need Dos I have not installed it. Put ME back on - spend the time getting it sorted out and you will not be sorry. From your postings on 'Press F1' you obviously have far more computer knowledge than I so don't give up on a very good system. One point!! if you are running Nortons do not enable any Auto functions other than Update. Use only Manual on all Norton functions. If you do not you can certainly have some strange things happen with ME. One other point - do a clean install - most problems seem to occur when upgrading from 95-98. You will also need to update drivers etc. for everything you have on the computer. It takes time but it is worth it. The Restore function is great when you have a stuff-up installing new software or downloads. I am only an aged newby but if I can help further just ask.