PDA

View Full Version : wifi usb thumb drive storage

rodlco
22-07-2010, 10:47 PM
i was just wondering if there is any usb thumb drives out there that store data but also can transfer them direct to a laptop through Wifi.

say i am working on a public computer at university and also have my laptop next to it. i plug in a usb thumb drive in public computer. then anything i add to the thumb drive is automatically transferred to my laptop.

without having to disconnect the thumb drive from the university computer.

the reason i would like this is i can not connect to the internet on the laptop at university (no wifi access where i am and no network connection points). so while i am downloading papers and stuff on the university computer i would like to transfer them directly to my laptop at the same time.

Thanks

Rod

Speedy Gonzales
22-07-2010, 10:53 PM
How can you use wifi if Uni doesnt have it then?

rodlco
22-07-2010, 11:16 PM
How can you use wifi if Uni doesnt have it then?

uni has it but not where i am. and its not what i am meaning.

i want to be able to place files on the thumb drive that automatically get sent to my laptop (through either wifi chip on the usb thumb drive communicating with my laptop wifi)

really just wondering if there is any device like this out there

Speedy Gonzales
22-07-2010, 11:19 PM
You would still have to plug it into something for it to send (and whatever its plugged in, would have to be configured). I dont think it'll send whatever by itself

ubergeek85
22-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Nothing like that exists to my knowledge, but you could try a USB data transfer cable, just a cable with a box in the middle, but I don't think it works like a thumb drive.

Why not just use a thumb drive, then spend 30s copying it over?

rodlco
22-07-2010, 11:34 PM
You would still have to plug it into something for it to send (and whatever its plugged in, would have to be configured). I dont think it'll send whatever by itself

of course i know that. if it is out there i would expect it would have to plug into the computer then my wifi on the laptop would be able to discovery it.

i would suspect it would need some device drivers on the computer so it can be turned on.

but i was just wondering if there are plug and play usb thumb drives that have wifi and storage integrated

Speedy Gonzales
22-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Well actually there is

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/11/28/gigabyte_combines_wifi_usb_flash

I just found out. Since you asked nicely (NOT). All you have to do is find out where it is in NZ

rodlco
22-07-2010, 11:48 PM
Well actually there is

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/11/28/gigabyte_combines_wifi_usb_flash

I just found out. Since you asked nicely (NOT). All you have to do is find out where it is in NZ

thanks speedy that does sound exactly what i am looking for.

thank you for your time

@ubergeek85 - thought about the cable transfer and yes i could just use a flash drive but i dont want to take it out all time

Speedy Gonzales
22-07-2010, 11:51 PM
No probs. There is a Gigabyte NZ site. You can try and contact them to see where you can get it (if youre in NZ). Umm altho, as it says on the link it only supports WEP (for now). Which isnt that secure. There is another one the Apacer Steno MB112. Looks like the shop down the road has this, but dont know if any are in stock ($129 )! And this http://www.airstash.com/ which can be used as an access point / media server

Something is wrong with this forum, the underlined part after my reply. Only appears after 4-5 posts. And the links dont work !

Erayd
23-07-2010, 12:30 AM
Something is wrong with this forum, the underlined part after my reply. Only appears after 4-5 posts. And the links dont work !I think it's just your end Speedy - not seeing any problems here.

Have you tried doing a forced refresh / clearing your browser cache etc?

Failing that, maybe your ISP is just playing with their cache settings and you were unlucky enough to be caught in the middle. God knows TelstraClear cause enough problems with theirs :groan:.

Speedy Gonzales
23-07-2010, 12:32 AM
Yup strange that its only appearing here. I'm in another forum its fine. It happened after I deleted my sig. I thought I may have left something there, but nope. Its empty.

Erayd
23-07-2010, 12:43 AM
It happened after I deleted my sig. I thought I may have left something there, but nope. Its empty.Blue fish eat red food on Saturday afternoons...

In a similar manner, red fish eat blue food, but only when JavaScript is enabled.

Green fish eat underlines and JavaScript.

Orange fish just Google (http://www.google.com/) their meals.

And the verdict is... even after deleting my sig, I still can't replicate it - that's one freaky problem you've hit! Have you tried using a different browser?

Speedy Gonzales
23-07-2010, 12:50 AM
Yup this is IE 8. Mmm maybe i should try and reinstall FF??

Erayd
23-07-2010, 12:54 AM
I'd give it a shot - maybe the portable version if you just want to test rather than wanting to use it as your main browser - but it'd certainly help narrow down the problem. I must say this issue intrigues me...

Are you able to reliably replicate it here in IE8, or does it only happen sometimes?

Speedy Gonzales
23-07-2010, 01:00 AM
Ok. The previous reply was IE8. Its got a little line. This is Firefox after uninstalling it / deleting its folders / then reinstalling it / the addons. Its only happened since I deleted what was in my sig. The line straight across has come back

Erayd
23-07-2010, 01:04 AM
...there's no underline (well a small line not straight across the page)It seems that PressF1's VB install adds that large line if you edit your post, to separate the post content from the "Last edited by..." message.

I'm still not sure what could be causing your post content to go AWOL, nor what could be breaking your links...

Speedy Gonzales
23-07-2010, 01:06 AM
Well that makes two of us. Ah I see when I post the 1st time its fine. If I edit then save it stuffs up. But in this case, its gone back to normal. The line is on the bottom, where it should be

Erayd
23-07-2010, 01:09 AM
Well that makes two of usMaybe it's advertising-karma or something; the sheer bulk of advertising here has become so large and complex that it's developed a life of its own, become sentient, and is starting to pick off members, highest-post-counts first... :cool:

Bring back Mary (and Bruce would be nice too)!

Erayd
23-07-2010, 01:12 AM
...But in this case, its gone back to normal. The line is on the bottom, where it should beYep - but there's also no 'edited' notice displayed either. It seems that the forum only adds the 'edited' message if somebody viewed your original post before you edited it, or a few minutes passes. I'm not sure what the logic behind that behavior is, but I've noticed it before.

I'm willing to bet that if you edit it now, the line (and the edited message) will return with a vengeance.

MushHead
23-07-2010, 08:43 AM
Just to get back on topic for a second - I'm not sure that rodlco's problem will be easily solved by any whizz-bang gizmo that easily.

Are you going to be able to install the software drivers for the Gigabyte access point WiFi/drive thingy on a university-owned computer? I thought not.

Erayd
23-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Are you going to be able to install the software drivers for the Gigabyte access point WiFi/drive thingy on a university-owned computer?Good point - if you can't install drivers, something like the Eye-Fi (http://www.eye.fi/) may be a better bet. No drivers required, although you'll probably need a USB adaptor for it if your uni's computers don't have the ability to use SD cards. These cards were designed with cameras in mind, but should work anywhere you'd expect a standard SD card to work.

One thing though - I'd double-check that it will actually do what you want before buying one, as they're not cheap (prices start at $50 US for a 4GB card).

I'm not sure that rodlco's problem will be easily solved by any whizz-bang gizmo that easily.What's the Eye-Fi if not a whizz-bang gizmo?

Snorkbox
23-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Then again, being a suspicious sort of type as I am. Is it possible the OP wants to take answers or text on a drive to Uni to help with an exam?

Nomad
23-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Then again, being a suspicious sort of type as I am. Is it possible the OP wants to take answers or text on a drive to Uni to help with an exam?

dunno how that can happen provided the student at the exam has no mobile phone, no laptop. the usb thingy cannot func by itself.

i guess a usb wireless thing is with the trend, features and features but .. realistically is it that much of an issue, use the uni PCs then stick the usb thing in the laptop at home or when you have time at the uni or a few mins before the lecture starts. corporates has been using this method happily. when i was at uni we had floppy disks. ;)

i would just prefer a smartphone, has everything and it can function by itself too ...

Erayd
23-07-2010, 03:41 PM
I would just prefer a smartphone, has everything and it can function by itself too ...Well... (http://www.vodafone.co.nz/shop/mobileDetails.jsp?skuId=sku8540042&voucherCode=&selectionKey=mobile&menuKey=mnit2400019)

Nomad
23-07-2010, 03:46 PM
Well... (http://www.vodafone.co.nz/shop/mobileDetails.jsp?skuId=sku8540042&voucherCode=&selectionKey=mobile&menuKey=mnit2400019)

i am more a nokia type :D
i got a e75, i prefer business phones, no modifications, just oem and just that it works! and i am not looking.
if i was looking, sorry for the pun but i prefer a iphone, say what you want.

anyway, who invented the first LCD touch screen mobile phone? was it apple or was it another company?

Erayd
23-07-2010, 03:51 PM
i am more a nokia type :D
i got a e75, i prefer business phones, no modifications, just oem and just that it works! and i am not looking.
if i was looking, sorry for the pun but i prefer a iphone, say what you want. :D

anyway, who invented the first LCD touch screen mobile phone? was it apple or was it another company?That would be IBM, in 1992, with the Simon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_(phone)).