PDA

View Full Version : Switching from Dual Boot Setup to Single Boot

Chemical Ali
22-07-2010, 09:44 PM
I currently have my PC set up as a dual boot Windows XP Pro/Windows 7 machine.

I'm thinking of just using Windows 7 and not having XP on there at all. Is there a quick and easy way of removing Windows XP and adjusting the boot file/table or will it mean having to reformat the entire drive and reinstall Windows 7?

Thanks in advance ...

Speedy Gonzales
22-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Use something like easybcd. Or in windows 7, go to start/run type msconfig. Go to the boot tab, highlight XP, click on delete. And set Win7 as default

Chemical Ali
22-07-2010, 09:52 PM
And after that I can simply just delete/wipe the Windows XP partition?

Speedy Gonzales
22-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Yup.

Chemical Ali
22-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Can anyone verify this before I go ahead and do it (no offence intended Speedy).

Chemical Ali
22-07-2010, 10:09 PM
When I go to MSconfig (under Windows 7) and look at the Boot tab details only Windows 7 is listed (which is wierd) given that I do have a genuine/proper dual boot system. I used Easy BCD to setup the boot manager originally.

Speedy Gonzales
22-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Hmm if you installed XP then Win7 (like what Ive done here) with Vista x64 and Win 7 x64, there would be 2 entries. I've never used easybcd to create the boot manager (but I did use it once to remove one OS), till I found out Windows 7 has the option to let you delete one OS.

So, if you reboot, do you get the menu to select either OS to boot from?

You may have to use easybcd again, to remove the XP option

wainuitech
22-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Done it once or twice (kind of).

Once removing the XP from W7, it should boot directly into W7 with out the options, you will have to run the W7 startup repair.

The kind of part I mentioned is XP and W7 were on seperate HDD's, NOT one HDD with two partitions. If both OS's are on the one drive, then normally you will end up with a blank section at the beginning of the drive, meaning if you want the complete drive space, you may have to move the W7 partition to the now blank section-- Thats when the fun begins.

WATCH THIS VIDEO (http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/itdojo/?p=1306) one way of doing it - 8.30 minutes

One thing is certain-- No matter what anyone says, no one can guarantee something "odd" wont happen -- Sometimes everything is done right, yet it all turns to crap.

angry
22-07-2010, 11:07 PM
could be other issues if they share the same boot sector depending on how they were set up.

safest, set 7 as default boot, then use the drive that was xp as storage, deleting unused programs as nessecary.

or wipe drive and start again.