PDA

View Full Version : Freeview HD Card - Increasing Performance?

camo
22-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Hi everyone,

I've just purchased an AverTV HD TV card (PCI) with the idea of watching and recording Freeview on my PC.

I have installed the card and all the drivers.

I have also installed GB-PVR, because I like the idea of a media centre with EPG etc. It's an awesome app....

I have the card working on both GB-PVR and the bundled AverTV software, but the performance is jerky, especially on TV One, Two & Three. Maori, Prime, TVNZ6 and & 7 are ok. I've got some serious lag going on!

I have tried different codecs (including the recommeded Nvidia MPEG-2 decoder) but nothing changes the performance issues.

What key things should I be doing to increase performance? I don't mind sacrificing a bit of quality.... is there another app which will handle my card better?

Specs:

Windows XP Pro SP2
Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz
2GB DDR RAM
300+ GB HDD

Thanks!

Speedy Gonzales
22-07-2010, 07:27 PM
You shouldn't need codecs to watch it with its program. A dual core system might help. A better videocard (depending on what youre using). And a better aerial (if you're using the one it came with (if it came with one).

I'm using a Avermedia DVB-T adapter. But using Win7 Media center, or the Avermedia program in Vista (since it doesnt work in Vista Media Center). I tried GBPVR, Mediaportal, both were hopeless tho. One found the channels but that was it. It didnt show anything. The other didnt find the tuner at all. So, both went in the bin

camo
22-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Yeah, the AverMedia program works fine, but still has the lag.

I have a 256MB DDR Radeon card.

The aerial is mint - I live in an apartment building with crystal clear reception. I'm not using the supplied aerial.

I agree, a Dual Core system and an expensive video card will help, but I would have thought that my specs (which are running very efficiently, with no hungry processes running) would have done the job?

Can I turn off HD, or should I have bought an SD card?

Speedy Gonzales
22-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Umm no, thats why its an HD card. So, channels that are in HD, broadcast in HD. This lags in Windows 7 ( - when I change channels, even tho this is a dual core 2.8), probably because of this ATI 512mb card

A Nvidia card would probably fix it (since it'll handle things better, and it wont rely on the CPU). But its fine in Vista (pity I cant use media center tho, coz MC in Vista cant find any channels). It'll be the channels in HD that will make the CPU usage go up.

If you buy an SD card, you may as well buy a normal tuner (If you're talking about a card for satellite, you'll need a satellite dish as well)

camo
22-07-2010, 09:25 PM
Bugger...

So there's no way of reducing the picture quality, like you can on an LCD TV?

Why do TVNZ channels have more lag than TV3 etc? I'm watching TV3 now with no problems, but channels 1 and 2 still stutter....

psycik
22-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Bugger...

So there's no way of reducing the picture quality, like you can on an LCD TV?

Why do TVNZ channels have more lag than TV3 etc? I'm watching TV3 now with no problems, but channels 1 and 2 still stutter....

Actually a lot of people have more issues with tv3 over tv1 or 2, mostly being tv3 is 1080i and tv1/tv2 are 720p.

It could be a sound issue and/or a video codec issue.

Ways to fix, get a decent video card. An nvidia 8500 GT or greater, or a 9400GT or greater. And from ATI, I think a 4200HD or above. Should set you back about $200 - these are PCIe cards so you'd need a motherboard with PCIe graphics.

Your other option, which may cost you more (but if you don't have PCIe graphics capability) is to change your tuner to a DVB-S tuner and get freeview satellite. This is SD, and Mpeg2 based (same as a dvd). But it'd cost you about 150 for a PCI based Satellite tuner card.