PDA

View Full Version : Career in IT - MCSE the way to go?

02-09-2001, 10:44 PM
I'm considering a career in IT, any advice would be much appreciated on breaking into the IT industry. Is an MCSE the way to go, or maybe a Bachelor in Computer Science?
Thanks.

02-09-2001, 11:50 PM
The MCSEs don't really cover much, basically enough to setup and run a windows server etc.

A computer science degree (what I'm currently doing) focuses mainly algorithms and the theory side of computers and programming. Although you of course gain a lot of programming experience in the process.

If that doesn't interest you you could try Information Science, it focuses more on applications, esp databases, but is less application specifc than an MCSE.

An MCSE will probably get you a job and will take a lot less time to get. You could also try the Oracle, Cisco and Redhat equivilants.

Personally I think that learing how a system works is better than learning a specific system.

03-09-2001, 12:21 PM
I'm doing the 'memorise a few manuals', and set up a 2 computer network at home with NT server on one and Win 2k on the other. Then one day I will be brave and sit the MCSE tests one at a time and see how I go. Now to 'acquire' a copy of Server 2000.

Those courses which charge thousands look like rip offs to me.

I did comp science courses at uni but it was all theoretical stuff, not really interesting at all. I found that I learnt more from mucking around with the pc's, changing every setting and so on. But learning tricks from my mates was the most important. Newsgroups are a great help.

Good luck

03-09-2001, 07:09 PM
Brett -

As someone who employs people in the IT industry, I'd prefer people who'd done a Computer Science degree over someone with a very specific qualification any day.

A degree in Computer Science not only teaches you a broader range of skills, it also trains you to learn ... and in IT in particular you'll find that you have to keep on learning on a daily basis to keep up.

MCSE's and like qualifications have their place .. but they train you in specific skills. If the market changes and those specific skills are no longer relevant then you are back to the drawing board all over again.

One thing you could consider perhaps if earning money while you study is a concern is to do a shorter course to get your foot in the door, and then study towards a BSc or something similar part-time. However I can warn you - from experience - that working fulltime and studying is a heavy load.

Hope that's useful.

Mark

05-09-2001, 12:24 PM
Hi,
I wouldn't bother doing MCSE unless you want to eventually be involved in some sort of tech support role. An MCSE with no other experience will probably let you get your foot in the door in an entry level IT job. Probably desktop support or something similar. But you can always work your way up from there to Network Admin and beyond.
Which is what most people do!