PDA

View Full Version : Dream job - NOT

linw
21-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Owner complains of slow comp (1.8GHz, 2GB RAM Pacjkard Bell, XP SP3) and hangups. But, very few startups to cause slow performance/boot.

Removed AVG and a couple of startups which seemed to improve performance.

System hung several times over 3 hrs- stone cold seizure with no events recorded. Bugger. Chkdsk ran with no errors I could see reported. RAM test seemed OK - limited time but certainly the RAM did not show any clearcut problems. On site so couldn't sub PSU. No obvious bad caps on the mobo.

But wait, there's more! Trying to update MSE showed a VERY slow download performance. Speedtest showed 0.15Mbps down! Scrabbled around disconnecting phones didn't fix it. Added one missing filter. Modem had 2366kbps link speed. Got covered in her bloody dog's hair while lying on floor getting at phone sockets.

Installed new printer. Error - didn't pass Logo testing! Same error when it installed USB dvrs for my USB stick. Something wrong in USB area.

GRRRRRRR.

She wants a quote for a new system box and will have to battle Telstra over the ADSL connection!!

Glad to get home and have a gin.

Alex B
21-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Sounds like a fairly typical home users computer to me...

pctek
22-07-2010, 09:24 AM
WHich is why sometimes it's better to take them back to the workshop with you.
But Packard Bell =:yuck:

Agent_24
22-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Reinstall windows (or ubuntu)

22-07-2010, 01:54 PM
WHich is why sometimes it's better to take them back to the workshop with you.

theres the prob. Be honest with the cust when they ring up & say probably wont be able to fix properly onsite, they go somewhere else.

Cellux
22-07-2010, 02:20 PM
1101, a good way to fix that problem is to mention differences in cost with call outs and workshop work.

Call out fee, on-site time charge
vs
Workshop flat rates? Or at least quote them a price below a call out?

wainuitech
22-07-2010, 04:25 PM
1101, a good way to fix that problem is to mention differences in cost with call outs and workshop work.

Call out fee, on-site time charge
vs
Workshop flat rates? Or at least quote them a price below a call out?I had a call exactly like that earlier this week. The person insisted that the PC had to be fixed on site, but didn't want to pay an hourly rate.

She also said she had called several people and while my quote was the cheapest, someone stated that it could be fully fixed in 15 minutes -- YEAH RIGHT.

Heres the symptoms - Windows XP SP2 - VERY VERY slow, been getting slower over the last few weeks.

MANY pop ups all the time, couldn't get on the internet - their Norton was complaining it wasn't working (not just out of date) -- had all these warning about the PC being infected and had to buy ??? :rolleyes: AND they were on a dial up connection.

After she bluntly refused to have it leave her place,I told her any one that could fix that in 15 minutes had no idea what they are doing.

To do the job correctly, it would take several hours - I asked if all the data was backed up, NO!

I advised I would do that in case it was so bad it had to be fully reinstalled -- But I couldn't tell until I saw it, AND had a working internet connection.

She said she would get the person who said he could fix it in 15 minutes. :groan:

Sure -- easy enough I thought - Wipe the drive problem fixed.

Normally the answer suggested though is the right one.

pctek
22-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Ring her back - I want to know what happened after the 15 minutes were up.

Nomad
22-07-2010, 04:47 PM
doesn't stores some anyway say that data backup is your (customers) responsbility.

so a 15min job. wipe it, use the recovery cd start it up and while it is still going let them that when it's done you can reuse the computer .....

wainuitech
22-07-2010, 05:38 PM
Ring her back - I want to know what happened after the 15 minutes were up. Yeah I'd like to know as well, caller ID blocked, and we hadn't got to getting details yet, wouldn't even tell me her first name -------some people you can just do without.

By the way she was talking she sounded like one of the sort that know everything. ;)

doesn't stores some anyway say that data backup is your (customers) responsbility. YEP ! But thats where things are different for some tech's -- we actually make sure the persons data is backed up if its a badly infected PC, or at least safe (drive cloned first) -- Just in case.

If a tech was to simply wipe the drive and reinstall windows, wiping/losing all data -- all hell would break lose, because its "your" fault it was never backed up or saved in the first place.

linw
23-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Just love the 15 min fix, WT!! Even updating XP over a phone line would take, let me see, errrr probably never!

My customer didn't want the machine taken away - told her it was uneconomic for me to sit around waiting for testing to run etc. But she was an OK 'old' who knew more about it than most. Probably too much as she was running cleanup progs regularly which is maybe why the USB looks like it is has a problem!

Anyway, ups to all you techs out there who try hard to do the job right. Don't know how you make a dollar doing it but there you go. Isn't it incredible how time flies when servicing a machine? You look back and wonder how the hell you spent three hours on it. Where did the time go??

Cheers.

wainuitech
23-07-2010, 10:01 AM
You look back and wonder how the hell you spent three hours on it. Where did the time go?? :D 15 minutes looking to see what the actual problem is - installing programs, or just getting them to even run - 2 hours 45 minutes sitting back, counting the spots on the ceiling, since theres nothing you can do while they scan. ;)