PDA

View Full Version : E-Ink Technology

GorCh
20-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Hi all,

Bought myself a Kobo reader at the weekend. Really enjoying it so far, very easy to read. When I plugged it in it installed a firmware update, all good.

Been reading about the update on various forums, everyone seems vaguely happy except for the new auto-shutdown feature.

I was under the impression that with e-ink, once a page of text or whatever has been displayed on the page, it didn't draw anymore power. From what I've been reading this evidently isn't the case. Can anyone shed any light on this?

PaulD
20-07-2010, 05:15 PM
The screen isn't the only thing using power, the operating system will still be running while the reader is on. That may be why they've changed to auto suspend then OFF if you don't turn any pages for a while.

The MobileRead Kobo forum has lots of answers http://67.205.70.12/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=223

Snorkbox
20-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Gutenberg project works for me along with the local library.
I've noticed that paperbacks seldom power themselves off.

johcar
20-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Gutenberg project works for me along with the local library.
I've noticed that paperbacks seldom power themselves off.

Hard to read in the dark though...

GorCh
20-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Haha eink just as difficult - no backlight.

That explains it I suppose. Its not so annoying really, you are generally either reading or not. Bootup time isn't as long as I thought it would be, and page refresh is fast enough too. Overall very happy.

Snorkbox
20-07-2010, 06:24 PM
Hard to read in the dark though...

True but ever heard of an Ebook powered by a Tilley lamp or candles.

pctek
20-07-2010, 06:56 PM
Hi all,

Bought myself a Kobo reader at the weekend. Really enjoying it so far, very easy to read. When I plugged it in it installed a firmware update, all good.

Hmm.
This put me off forever:
http://lobelet.livejournal.com/

Erayd
20-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Mmm, I can't say I'd ever buy a Kobo (heard too many bad things about them), but I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another Sony reader - I've had a PRS-505 since March 2008, and I love the thing!

Here follows the list of things I love about the Sony:
Decent format support (ePub, BBeB/LRF, PDF, RTF, TXT)
Outstanding PDF reflowing (reorganises large PDFs for easy reading on a smaller screen)
Not locked to any kind of proprietary software - if it takes your fancy, you can manage it like any normal flash drive. There are also syncing programs available (both Sony's, and third party ones such as Calibre) if that floats your boat.
Menus & user interface are very logically laid out, and the numeric buttons on the side are unbelievably useful for quick navigation.
Battery life is great (3-4 weeks is easily achievable when new, although that slowly diminishes as the battery ages).
The display is very crisp and easy to read, with decent contrast and a good response speed.
Small enough to fit in a jacket pocket
SD and Memory Stick cardreaders (I don't use them, but it's nice to have the option)
Standard Mini USB data connection
DC power in (5.2v) allows charging without the need to connect to a PC
I'm sure there's more than I haven't remembered, but as someone who does a *lot* of reading, I can wholeheartedly recommend them :thumbs:.

somebody
20-07-2010, 09:27 PM
There was a fairly positive review on it here: http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/19/kobo-e-reader-review/