PDA

View Full Version : Malware complacency

Cicero
20-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Friend said computer slow.
I asked if they ran malware app,what is that they cried,beside we run volume check so no need for anything else.

She is on a 200k job involving computers and was quite dismissive of my efforts.

I ran spy bot and it found 300 items,still not impressed so I have passed on to Rob 99,see how he gets on.

My point is,they don't get that they are constantly attacked.

wainuitech
20-07-2010, 09:20 AM
That attitude of people is quite common.

Its not till they lose something, either data or their bank accounts get hit that they then wake up and get one hell of a shock.

kahawai chaser
20-07-2010, 09:40 AM
I just finished fixing my niece's pc, after it ran slow, and kept cutting out. I educated her weeks back, loaded all the common free anti virus programs. But she thought she only needed (or bothered) to run the faster ccleaner. Reckons it's too slow and cumbersome scanning/updating with all the others - but now has a schedule for running/updating.

Cicero
20-07-2010, 09:41 AM
That attitude of people is quite common.

Its not till they lose something, either data or their bank accounts get hit that they then wake up and get one hell of a shock.

They can't believe that these things happen,it's the dismissive attitude in spite of the evidence that gets me.

PaulD
20-07-2010, 09:50 AM
I ran spy bot and it found 300 items,still not impressed so I have passed on to Rob 99,see how he gets on.

300 items - Tracking Cookies = ?

Cicero
20-07-2010, 09:56 AM
300 items - Tracking Cookies = ?

All sorts of nasties including worm and trojans.

Had it been just cookies I wouldn't have mentioned it.

pctek
20-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Friend said computer slow.
I asked if they ran malware app,what is that they cried,beside we run volume check so no need for anything else.

She is on a 200k job involving computers and was quite dismissive of my efforts.

They're the worst.
We are just menial low skill techs so what would we know.

I had a manager once, she started as a an operator, then became Project Manager at Unisys. She hated computers, wouldn't have one at home, and no idea at all about anything even slightly basic and yet dictated to her mum what she should have an run.

Remember having an argument about games, she said HDD didn't matter cause they all ran off the CD. Right. Couldn't tell her otherwise.

What did I know.........

nofam
20-07-2010, 11:33 AM
They're the worst.
We are just menial low skill techs so what would we know.

I had a manager once, she started as a an operator, then became Project Manager at Unisys. She hated computers, wouldn't have one at home, and no idea at all about anything even slightly basic and yet dictated to her mum what she should have an run.

Remember having an argument about games, she said HDD didn't matter cause they all ran off the CD. Right. Couldn't tell her otherwise.

What did I know.........

Try having an accountant for a boss. . . . . . .hoo boy :rolleyes:

20-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Its very common for home/small business to run all the a/c's & online
banking off the 1 PC, then let their kids(& adult kids) play (yes play) on it after hours.

Sort of like giving them your chequebook to play with out on the street