PDA

View Full Version : mp3 player file problem

user
19-07-2010, 09:04 PM
I have a dse mp3 player which is giving me a 'file format error' when I try to play music. There is one directory which has developed a number of subdirectories, all with nonsense names. There are also some files with nonsense names. When I try to delete them via my computer, I am unable to and I get a message of 'the filenames are too long or not valid' thus I can't delete them.

Any suggestions on any tools which will allow me to delete them?

Speedy Gonzales
19-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Format it

user
19-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Will this affect the operating system of the player? I can't see any other files present other than the music files so I don't know how the operating system files would be affected.

pcuser42
19-07-2010, 09:26 PM
They won't be, the MP3 player's OS is stored on a chip inside the player. As long as you format it as FAT32 (the default) it should work :)

user
19-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Thanks for that. Problem solved.

Agent_24
20-07-2010, 12:35 AM
I have a dse mp3 player which is giving me a 'file format error' when I try to play music. There is one directory which has developed a number of subdirectories, all with nonsense names. There are also some files with nonsense names. When I try to delete them via my computer, I am unable to and I get a message of 'the filenames are too long or not valid' thus I can't delete them.

Any suggestions on any tools which will allow me to delete them?

This happens due to corruption. Formatting or running CHKDSK on the drive will fix the problem.