PDA

View Full Version : Missing files after data transfer

Billy T
19-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Hi Team

After setting up my new computer, I moved all my data directories across to the new system by copying the entire D drive to a USB hard drive, and then copying that across to the new D drive. Over a period of weeks I noticed a few files and follder missing, so I fired up the old girl again and dumped the contents of the old D onto an 8GB thumb drive.

I am still finding (not finding?) missing files and have had to search my old backups to find them.

Now, firstly, the old D drive was working OK and the data was original and complete, so how/why can it be that a drag and drop would leave random files behind?

And secondly, is there a simple (read free) program that will do a file compare between two disks and add any missing files? It is a pain having to check several copies of the old D to find which one saved the file I need. I think I can do it with ZTree, but all files have to be on the same computer and all disks logged, and it gets a bit complicated when multiple drives are being searched.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

kahawai chaser
19-07-2010, 05:34 PM
I think synback free version does verification after incremental backups. Just go through the setting/options to set up/confirm and then test.

Snorkbox
19-07-2010, 05:45 PM
It is possible that some files were left behind as they were in use or open in another application or window when you copied them.

rumpty
19-07-2010, 07:34 PM
Hi Team

...And secondly, is there a simple (read free) program that will do a file compare between two disks and add any missing files? It is a pain having to check several copies of the old D to find which one saved the file I need. I think I can do it with ZTree, but all files have to be on the same computer and all disks logged, and it gets a bit complicated when multiple drives are being searched.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

You could try PureSync. I've used it - did the job well.

Billy T
19-07-2010, 10:57 PM
It is possible that some files were left behind as they were in use or open in another application or window when you copied them.

No chance, I never have anything but the OS running when I transfer files, and I always do a full shutdown and restart/boot beforehand. Call me fussy but I've been caught out before.

I think I'll try Puresync, might have to resuscitate the old girl though, she's been a doorstop for several weeks now.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Chilling_Silence
20-07-2010, 07:40 AM
Make sure that you're copying hidden and system files as well ;)

CYaBro
20-07-2010, 07:47 AM
Maybe need to run a chkdsk/scandisk on the old hdd first.

GreacherTech
21-07-2010, 11:16 AM
start > run > cmd
D:
xcopy /e /y D: [usb drive letter]

copies pretty much everything and will overwright whatever is on your USB
(you can do this vice versa too)

never had data loss

Gobe1
21-07-2010, 12:01 PM
start > run > cmd
D:
xcopy /e /y D: [usb drive letter]

copies pretty much everything and will overwright whatever is on your USB
(you can do this vice versa too)

never had data loss

It would also be a good way to find out what files are failing if you watch the transfer

I use xxcopy at work here sometimes but it does struggle with long filenames/folders if they are over the 256 limit, rsync is better

Neil McC
21-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Just started using TeraCopy.There is a free version.

21-07-2010, 02:43 PM
It would also be a good way to find out what files are failing if you watch the transfer

I use xxcopy at work here sometimes but it does struggle with long filenames/folders if they are over the 256 limit, rsync is better

thats an oopsee (???)
xcopy had these issues (and others). It would also sometimes just exit(crash out) the copy without warning.
xxcopy is better (be carefull going to the website, was a issue with poisoned dns or hacked website sending you were u dont want to be !! )
robocopy is what I'd recommend. But sometimes has issues with Win7 & hides the whole backup(use the RASHNT to unhide) , also issues with Vista/7 junction points (or was that xcopy??, cant remember)

This works in Win7, XP etc etc
robocopy c:\ f:\robobackup /b /a /e /R:0 /W:0 /xj /A-:RASHNT

xcopy needs /e /h /c /k /v

**** Drag & Drop(or copy paste) should NEVER be relied on for Backup purposes. It will just quit/exit without finishing far too easily ****

Chilling_Silence
21-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Just started using TeraCopy.There is a free version.

Its FTW!

Billy T
22-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Its FTW!

WTF is FTW? :confused:

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Snorkbox
22-07-2010, 10:37 AM
FTW = For The Win.

Chilling_Silence
22-07-2010, 11:54 AM