PDA

View Full Version : Restore backup

kfoffice
19-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Hi,

I've really appreciated this forum and its helpful solutions for my computer problems in the past. I would really appreciate it if someone can help please to recover all my backup folders that I backed up from an external drive.

My laptop is running Vista Home Premium. I backed up everything from my laptop to an external harddrive two days ago, formatted the harddrive using Compaq Restore option which also reloaded all the original softwares that came with my Compaq Presairo C700.

I'm trying now to restore the backups from my external harddrive but the following message shows beside each of the backups:
"Backup location is not available"

I did the following:

1. From Control Panel I cilcked on "Backup & Restore Center"

2. Clicked on "Advance Restore" because the normal Restore option says "there are no backups in this computer"

3. Clicked on "Restore files from backup on another computer or restore files for all users of this computer" I was hoping that this option will recognise the external harddrive.

4. It then asked me to select the drive (destination) where the backups are located and I clicked on the external harddrive. But under the backup location column it says, "Backup location is not available."

I'm stuck, need your help. Many thanks.

smurf
19-07-2010, 05:20 PM
External Hard Drive plugged in? Is it recognised in My Computer?

kfoffice
19-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Yes. It's recognised from My Computer. I can even click on the files on the external drive, open them etc.

smurf
19-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Have you tried copying the files from the external HDD to the laptop manually?

kfoffice
19-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Yes, I've just done that from my external drive to my C: drive on the laptop. But where to restore them is tricky. There are 100 backup folders loaded with different data etc. I'm desperate to find which one has my email because it has some very important emails of the I trust I'm the secretary at.
Any idea?

kfoffice
19-07-2010, 05:58 PM
Yes, I've found it but now I can't import the dawn thing it into Outlook 2007, it keeps saying it's not a pst file but it is.

smurf
19-07-2010, 10:38 PM
http://www.outlook2007repair.com/import-pst-in-outlook-2007.php

Have a look and see if this helps :)