PDA

View Full Version : Blue screening + best way to backup

utopian201
19-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Hi
My friend has a new windows 7 notebook. I suggested she get a macbook because then I wouldn't have to spend as much time sorting out issues. Have i been brainwashed? (I myself would never get a mac :p)

Anyway, when it came time to make her old notebook a hand-me-down (Vista), i used synctoy to transfer her "My document" folder to an external drive.

For her new notebook, I used synctoy to transfer her user folder back to her new computer.

However the new notebook has been getting blue screens ever since (which is unexpected because my XP Pro hasn't had a blue screen for several years). The logs didn't seem to suggest anything, but I'll have to have a look. But is it possible that by simply selecting to sync the whole my documents folder would be the cause of the bluescreens?
All sub folders such as photos, music etc would have been transferred. But so would the system files like application data and the other hidden folders.

Speedy Gonzales
19-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Disable automatically restart if you can get into windows. Then tell us, what the BSOD says. If it crashes again

inphinity
19-07-2010, 12:36 PM
But is it possible that by simply selecting to sync the whole my documents folder would be the cause of the bluescreens?
All sub folders such as photos, music etc would have been transferred. But so would the system files like application data and the other hidden folders.

There should be no Application Data within the My Documents folder, it has it's own folder within the user profile.

Or did you try to sync the whole user profile folder, rather than just My Documents? From Vista -> Win7 this could cause issues.

Agent_24
22-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Suggesting a Macbook is silly, Suggesting a format and reinstall of Ubuntu would make much more sense.