PDA

View Full Version : Wireless LAN 50 meters?

stuffed
19-07-2010, 11:47 AM
What products are suggested for a wireless LAN to cover about 50 meters from Router to Router (going to be used for a DVR).
Many thanks

CYaBro
19-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Indoors or outdoors?
Direct line of site with nothing in the way?

stuffed
19-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Out doors - could probably do line of sight.
Thanks

Deimos
19-07-2010, 12:26 PM
If you can, run a wire, purpose built wireless access points are expensive, and generic wireless access points are unstable at that distance.

John H
19-07-2010, 01:27 PM
I had one set up in our old house in ChCh - it went at least that far. As the base computer/router/wireless access point were in my office which was a Skyline Gottage (clad in tin), I took a wire from the Wireless Access Point antenna outlet through the wall, and mounted an antenna on the outside wall.

It probably meant that anyone in Papanui who knew how to crack the wireless encryption could get access to my PC. However, I could get useful wireless access via my laptop in the front bedroom of the house, which was at the opposite (long side) end of the house from my office which was on the back of the section at least 50m away.

Despite what Deimos says, my WAP was stable even at max distance. However, he is right that a cable is better than wireless. In our present house with the same gear, I cannot get stable wireless from one end of the house to the other - this house is only three years old, and brick, so it may be more of a challenge. I gave up and put an ethernet cable in instead.

nofam
19-07-2010, 02:09 PM
If you can, run a wire, purpose built wireless access points are expensive, and generic wireless access points are unstable at that distance.

Well, not exactly - if you use highly directional antennae at each end, they're fine. I ran an offsite store for a year using a couple of horrible D-link 802.11b access points - the two sites were about 400m apart. Had two of these (http://www.gowifi.co.nz/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/bfba916f9fc4fa86afb4e0fc74d28d60.jpg) mounted on hockey sticks and it worked flawlessly.

19-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Well, not exactly - if you use highly directional antennae at each end, they're fine.

Any issues in rain/heavy rain?? (2.4G being absorbed by water)

John H
19-07-2010, 03:19 PM

It was never a problem with my set up. I used an antenna from DSE that was designed for interior use, so I set it up high under the office verandah out of the weather. However the signal had to go across the whole back section, and I never noticed a problem on rainy days.

These are the people that made up the cable for me to connect between the WAP and the external antenna: http://www.yobbo.co.nz/wireless.htm They used to have a useful page on making up a directional antenna from a tin can, but it now looks as though the links are broken.

nofam
19-07-2010, 03:57 PM

None - being highly directional over a long distance meant they were a right pisser to set up (100% signal to 0% if you moved the antenna one inch the wrong way).

Lost signal one day out of the blue. . . .turned out a tree had decided to grow a few inches into the signal path. . . . :rolleyes: