PDA

View Full Version : Restore problems

kfoffice
19-07-2010, 12:23 AM
I have a an HP / Compaq presairo laptop I bought some two years ago. It came with Vista Home Premium, 2GB ram, and 1.86 duo processor and 120GB hard drive.

Using the Vista Backup /Restore I backed up all my important data & personal files into a WD external 1TB hard drive. I then reformatted the harddrive and reloaded all the programs.

Now everything went well until I came to restore everything back from my external drive into my newly loaded Vista laptop. The Vista Restore funtion in cotro panel could not restore any of the backups I backed up in my external WD external harddrive. I hope someone can help me restore all my documents, emails, etc.

When I click on "MY computer" I can see the external harddrive fine. I can even click on the backup folders and see all the data that I backed up. I'm a bit confused why Vista can't just restore all these backpup files.

pctek
19-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Try this from a command prompt:

wbadmin start recovery -version:03/05/2008-01:31 -itemtype:volume -items:c: -backuptargetBig Smile: -recoverytarget:c:

NOTE you need to pull the version from the command;

wbadmin get versions

kfoffice
19-07-2010, 12:23 PM
So I type in the whole string above?

kfoffice
19-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Sorry can you explain how do I type in the above instructions? Do I type everything exactly how you have it above as in "wbadmin start recovery -version:03/05/2008-01:31 -itemtype:volume -items:c: -backuptargetBig Smile: -recoverytarget:c:" ?