PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty upgrading to Windows 7

Dickson
18-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Computer is an Acer Aspire Model 5520, 4 Gb ram, O/S was Vista Home Premium. Purchased new 2 years ago.
When I attempted to do either an upgrade from Vista or a clean install the process worked fine until the first Win 7 startup. At that stage during the boot up stage the boot-up was not completed and the laptop went to the Acer recovery screen with prompts to re-install Vista. In exiting this screen an error message "Z:\D2D\Images\*.WSI" appears. On exiting
it just looped to the recovery screen again and again.
When I Googled the problem, it appears that a number of Acer users have had similar problems with the same error message. Google suggests that the hidden partition for recovery seems to be the culprit and is Linux related.
Prior to attempting to install Win 7, I checked for compatability & removed any software that was classed as incompatibile.
If I selected recovery from the Acer Recovery screen, then Vista was satisfactorily re-installed.
I am an elderly guy and not accomplished with Linux.
I am hoping for a "fix" within my ability. and will appreciate any help.
Regards, Dickson.

Speedy Gonzales
18-07-2010, 04:59 PM
Did you boot from the Win7 DVD?? It sounds like you're trying to install Win7 from within Vista. If you've created the recovery CD's / DVD for Vista, I would wipe the hard drive completely (go into the BIOS, change it to CD/DVD, boot from the Windows 7 DVD, then format / install)

Dickson
27-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, I have tried installing as you suggest but at this stage have not re-formated the whole hard drive.
Am not sure how to completely reformat the hard drive so as to remove the hidden partition etc.
I appreciate your comments and trouble to assist.

Trev
27-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Before you format your hard drive make sure you backup anything you want to keep. You can backup to a cd/dvd.
:)

Speedy Gonzales
27-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Select the partition / then select drive options I think it says / click on format

If there's more than 1 partition / 1 entry, highlight them, then drive options / delete partition. Then recreate a partition / or partitions. Depending on how big the hard drive is (if you want more than 1 partition)