PDA

View Full Version : Lines on screen

lakewoodlady
17-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Hi, my friend cleaned her screen. HP Laptop with XP Home. I suspect rubbed it too hard with cloth. Now has lines across the screen which will not go away. Is the screen kaput? Or is there anything I can do to fix this for her? Laptop is about 5 years old.

LL

The Error Guy
17-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Describe "lines" Vertical or horizontal. black or coloured?

lakewoodlady
18-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Lines are horizontal about 7-8 cms long and about 1 cm deep. They are black with some coloured patches and there are about 5 or 6 in total. Basically where she rubbed with the cloth. Sort of pixally looking.

LL

SP8's
18-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Without seeing the screen, I would suggest it's gone past it's best before date. This can happen when someone tries to use a brillo pad and jif to clean their screen.

Think your friend may have ruptured the membranes between the pixels ... only a guess though.

lakewoodlady
18-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Yes, I guessed as much. Only she used a slightly damp soft cloth, not the brillo and jif.

Cheers LL

The Error Guy
18-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Sounds a bit kaput. Bit of shame that its on a laptop because the screens are annoying to replace

Agent_24
18-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Sounds a bit kaput. Bit of shame that its on a laptop because the screens are annoying to replace

I've only even done one (Toshiba P35) but it was easy. Guess it wouldn't be if you'd never opened a laptop before etc or maybe mine is just good design.

The Error Guy
18-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Getting the parts of the supplier is the hardest part. they didn't want to give me one, insisted that I bring it in for them to do. I ended up buying one off ebay ($20) for my mates Compaq. then there was a lot of adhesive holding it together so I had to stick the blasted thing back together once the new screen was in. his laptop was going to cost $150 from the supplier to fix so me fixing was cheaper.

Billy T
18-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Household insurance might cover it. Accidental damage.

Surely this is no different to dropping the antique vase you inherited from Aunty Mable, while dusting it.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

linw
18-07-2010, 09:59 PM
And, like an assessor said to me once, there wouldn't be many claims if it wasn't for human stupidity!

lakewoodlady
19-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Thanks guys for all the tips.
I will suggest ins claim to the owner. The laptop isn't worth getting repaired, it's a bit of a slow dog and doesn't have much RAM. Lady can't afford much.

Cheers LL