PDA

View Full Version : Need internet management for after Big Time...

Agent_24
15-07-2010, 02:42 PM
I just got switched over to the new cabinet this morning.

Now I'm connected at 17Mbit :D (I expected 24Mbit since it's only 200 metres away, but what the hell, it's a lot better than 2Mbit)

I realised then, that with such a fast speed, and the inevitability of a cap when Big Time is finally gone that I will have to potential to waste it (the cap) far too quickly.

Apart from Telecom allowing you to pick which traffic uses the cap and which only runs at 64K (which is not possible) I figured the next best thing would be to add a router running OpenWRT or such into the mix and use that to manage traffic speeds, and slow down certain sites like Youtube (If all that is possible with OpenWRT)

The thing is I don't have the first idea about what is the right hardware to run OpenWRT on. Clearly it is targeting to Linksys routers but I also have certain requirements myself.

I don't want something with ADSL or WiFi inbuilt. I just want a simple router with Ethernet ports. I want to have a separate ADSL modem etc for ease of changeability and upgrades etc, without having to upgrade the entire thing. It also must have very good support for OpenWRT, not require me to do any screwing around and work well. (I have tried OpenWRT before on a DSL-502T and it was slow and caused a lot of headaches)

Does this exist, and can OpenWRT do what I want?

What do those who use OpenWRT run themselves?

The Error Guy
15-07-2010, 03:05 PM
Check the compatibility list, also look at dd-wrt. very similar to open WRT but i think it supports more routers. the settings would be around the QoS (quality of service) and is usually managed according to protocol (UDP, HTTP, FTP etc) not sure how you could slow youtube down though because the actual video streaming comes under HTTP so the whole web service would be slowed

Agent_24
15-07-2010, 03:54 PM
I don't think QoS is what I'm looking for. I don't want to slow down all HTTP traffic, I want to slow down traffic only from youtube.com for example.

The Error Guy
15-07-2010, 04:08 PM
probably some sort of filter i guess. not sure where you would find one of those

Agent_24
15-07-2010, 04:21 PM
probably some sort of filter i guess. not sure where you would find one of those

So OpenWRT\DD-Wrt etc don't support any feature like that?

Cellux
15-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Overkill:
Windows Server 2000/2003 and Microsoft ISA Server 2006.

The Error Guy
15-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Not sure. I have used it since I got a new router that doesn't yet support DD. they may have added since this feature since I last used. check their website. being open source you should be able to make your own version of QoS for this specific requirement. I wouldn't know where to start but it won't be that hard. eg, URL="youtube.com Rx max=100 Tx=0 (0 is usually unlimited) you don't want to limit your upload/connection queries

The Error Guy
15-07-2010, 04:36 PM
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Quality_of_Service It supports individual IP's so add youtubes IP and give it a low priority. dunno if this will work though. read through it in less than 30secs like it did

somebody
15-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Grab a router which supports the Tomato firmware, and use the QoS in that. It's excellent, and allows you to do things like shape certain traffic to 64k, allow others unrestricted access, etc. My favourite router for running 3rd party firmware at the moment is the Asus RT-N16 - it's fast, has a ton of memory and ROM, and did I mention it's fast? It runs Tomato nicely: http://tomatousb.org/download

The Error Guy
15-07-2010, 06:57 PM
I'd try on my linksys but im trying to rebuild WEP and WPA in a more secure form. Its failing.

Agent_24
15-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Grab a router which supports the Tomato firmware, and use the QoS in that. It's excellent, and allows you to do things like shape certain traffic to 64k, allow others unrestricted access, etc. My favourite router for running 3rd party firmware at the moment is the Asus RT-N16 - it's fast, has a ton of memory and ROM, and did I mention it's fast? It runs Tomato nicely: http://tomatousb.org/download

That Asus RT-N16 looks nice but is there a cheaper version without wireless? I don't want to pay for that since I wouldn't use it.

I already have a separate access point that isn't in the same location as the ADSL equipment, and I prefer to have the ability to change devices independently.

Chilling_Silence
15-07-2010, 10:22 PM
What somebody said.

DD-WRT is build on the OpenWRT firmware, as are pretty much all other router firmwares under the sun.

Pretty much all the devices are just WAP's, no ADSL. Gotta have wireless.

Get Tomato, see here:
http://c2s.co.nz/screencast/voip003/VoIP%20003%20-%20Flashing%20Tomato%20on%20the%20WRT54GL.html

Once it's installed, there's a QoS how-to here:
http://www.c2s.co.nz/blog/?p=16

It's not too hard to set it up for specific things, and there are a few ways you could try and tackle the likes of YouTube. That said, at the end of the day, if you want YouTube to *work*, you've gotta give it some bandwidth...

Don't bother with DD-WRT, I found it's QoS shabby at best, not worth wasting time on. Could have just been me at the time, but Tomato is *so* much nicer, why wouldn't you ;)

somebody
16-07-2010, 07:42 AM
That Asus RT-N16 looks nice but is there a cheaper version without wireless? I don't want to pay for that since I wouldn't use it.

I already have a separate access point that isn't in the same location as the ADSL equipment, and I prefer to have the ability to change devices independently.

Try other Asus routers in the RT-Nxx series, such as the RT-N12. I've used Tomato briefly on one of those, and it seemed fine - but I didn't try out the QoS component.