PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible for a technician to overide a Win7 password?

ssssss
15-07-2010, 11:26 AM
One has a personal password to enter Win7.
If one has to send the computer away to be repaired, (which isn't an issue at the moment) can a technician overide it to do his work?
Thanks

wainuitech
15-07-2010, 11:32 AM
YEP !! easy as :thumbs: no matter how complicated the password may be.

Have that sort of thing all the time -- If I have to take the PC / Laptop back top the workshop I ask people if they have their log in passworded -- NO they say, fire up the PC and look what it wants (Grrrrr -- mumble mumble) Oh well - blow it away in around 1 minute (the password).

Edited: thats goes for the "real" Hidden admin account if thats passworded as well.

ssssss
15-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Thanks wainuitech.

Very interesting

nmercer
15-07-2010, 12:27 PM
its possible to stop this if you wish

one example would be using the Windows 7 Bitlocker feature to do full volume encryption of your hard drive

that is going to make it significantly more difficult (read: impossible) for someone to get into the local machine

15-07-2010, 12:35 PM
local password yes (?)(giving access to all files, may need to change ownership for some access),
network login/domain pass/profile no.

I havnt tried pass reset CD on Win7 yet. Isnt the local administrator a/c disabled(for login) on Win7 ??

pctek
15-07-2010, 12:53 PM
If one has to send the computer away to be repaired, (which isn't an issue at the moment) can a technician overide it to do his work?

Yes.
We'd look pretty stupid sitting there unable to proceed if we couldn't wouldn't we?
And it's amazing how many people drop off a PC and neglect to mention passwords......

wainuitech
15-07-2010, 01:05 PM
one example would be using the Windows 7 Bitlocker feature to do full volume encryption of your hard drive
While that is true, not all versions of Windfows 7 have bitlocker.

Maybe MS have changed it, but Last time I looked only Windows 7 Enterprise and Ultimate came with bitlocker.

Average Home user Passwords are only a Judder bar so to speak.:D

nofam
15-07-2010, 01:32 PM
While that is true, not all versions of Windfows 7 have bitlocker.

Maybe MS have changed it, but Last time I looked only Windows 7 Enterprise and Ultimate came with bitlocker.

Average Home user Passwords are only a Judder bar so to speak.:D

Beat me to it WT - a completely stupid decision by MS to not put Bitlocker on W7 Professional, and even Home Premium at a pinch; most enterprise-grade laptops already have security policies enforced by GP etc, so Bitlocker is just a nice-to-have option. It's the average home user that had no idea about encryption that really needs a simple, transparent technology to protect them and their data.

Cellux
15-07-2010, 01:52 PM
nofam: Why would home users need to encrypt their data?
The only thing home users should be doing to their data, is backing it up.

Nomad
15-07-2010, 03:00 PM
What happens if a home owner forget their password? :D

Snorkbox
15-07-2010, 03:14 PM
What happens if a home owner forget their password? :D

They don't forget passwords at all as they are written on a postit note and taped to the monitor. :banana:banana

Cellux
15-07-2010, 03:36 PM
They don't forget passwords at all as they are written on a postit note and taped to the monitor. :banana:banana

Funny because it's true.

fred_fish
15-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Once you have physical access to the machine, passwords are pretty much useless (unless the data is encrypted).
So the post-it is at least more secure than in a text file on the PC - you can't read a post-it remotely (notwithstanding a situation involving a webcam & an unlucky placement of a mirror :))

wainuitech
15-07-2010, 04:14 PM
What happens if a home owner forget their password? :D Either Blow away the original leaving it blank, or reset it to something else.

You dont need to know the original Password, just have the right software to change/Remove/ reset the passwords.

Cellux
15-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Either Blow away the original leaving it blank, or reset it to something else.

You dont need to know the original Password, just have the right software to change/Remove/ reset the passwords.

This.

Unless of course it's a hard drive password...

Then, good luck.

15-07-2010, 04:29 PM

Usually after a strong password policy is enforced, ie change the pass every 6 weeks & force a format that cant be rembered eg 8 characters min with numbers & special characters. Either post it notes or ring IT regularly when everyone forgets pass's. So much for increased security :badpc: :badpc:

The Error Guy
15-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Drive encryption + BIOS password. stops them getting at it with rainbow tables or OPHcrack.

The techies at HP asked for my password, I gave them something completely wrong. they still got onto my machine absolutely fine so I geuss they just asked to be polite. seccond time round I had a BIOS pass. they called me saying they had "technical issues" and could the please have the BIOS pass :devil

Cellux
15-07-2010, 04:46 PM
Drive encryption + BIOS password. stops them getting at it with rainbow tables or OPHcrack.

The techies at HP asked for my password, I gave them something completely wrong. they still got onto my machine absolutely fine so I geuss they just asked to be polite. seccond time round I had a BIOS pass. they called me saying they had "technical issues" and could the please have the BIOS pass :devil

I'm not really sure why you'd send it to HP and not give them the access passwords.

The Error Guy
15-07-2010, 05:09 PM
because i'm a muppet. the first time I wrote it wrong and the 2nd time I forgot about the BIOS

wainuitech
15-07-2010, 05:21 PM
This.

Unless of course it's a hard drive password...

Then, good luck.Theres ways -- Haven't come across one yet that cant be blown/ bypassed one way or another.

Maybe with the exception of bitlocker, but never had one of those yet.

The techies at HP asked for my password, Thats strange -- They all have so called "default" passwords, that will allow entry.

nofam
15-07-2010, 05:53 PM
nofam: Why would home users need to encrypt their data?
The only thing home users should be doing to their data, is backing it up.

Because, as others have said, people tend to have a .txt file on their desktop called Passwords. These same people are also far more likely to have their notebooks pinched from an unlocked car, library, kitchen table etc than a corporate operator who carries a notebook from the board room to the lunchroom and back again.

I certainly agree they should backup, but a seamless encryption system that doesn't require an IT degree to use is far more usefeul to home users than corporate types who store information on servers, rather (hopefully) than client devices.

Nomad
15-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Some of the corps have RSA dongles prior to logging into windows :cool: and a bios password set by the IT dept.

Greven
15-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Would the home user backups be encrypted too? I have seen a lot of computers where the kids set a password on the computer then forget it. I would hate to see the result if they had access to bitlocker.

The Error Guy
15-07-2010, 08:54 PM
I think backups are ecrypted by windows in general and I think there is an option to encrypt over the top with bitlocker. windows passwords are crackable though so if anyone in my family lost a password i'd just recover it

Roger Hunt
15-07-2010, 10:58 PM
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/07/06/how-to-reset-remove-clear-or-reveal-cmos-bios-security-password/
All passwords can be deleted

Alex B
15-07-2010, 11:31 PM
bit locker + home user = instant doom.

"My HDD won't boot and is on the way out, can you get the photos of my dead XYZ back"

No, no I can't you're 13 year old son installed bit locker so people can't access your lolcats collection.

As an HP tech, I don't personally attempt to get around passwords, and no we do not have a magic access password, but you are wasting your own time as far as getting the laptop back promptly.

The Error Guy
16-07-2010, 10:22 AM
I found that out pretty quick. 2 weeks :rolleyes:

SP8's
16-07-2010, 10:41 AM
I encrypted my business backup disc once with 128bit .... that was 5 years ago and I'm still trying to figure out the password.

The programme did warn me about loosing the password .... it didn't warn me about having to be totally sober when I did it.

SP8's + encryption = Dumbass

Alex B
17-07-2010, 12:57 AM
I found that out pretty quick. 2 weeks :rolleyes:

Did you take it back to the retailer or straight to hp? Unless the parts were on back order thats quite a long time.

pctek
17-07-2010, 09:24 AM
bit locker + home user = instant doom.

"My HDD won't boot and is on the way out, can you get the photos of my dead XYZ back"

No, no I can't you're 13 year old son installed bit locker so people can't access your lolcats collection.

:lol::lol:

Exactly. Most home users should just back up the personal stuff and forget extreme security, there's nothing there that's importnat.

Nomad
17-07-2010, 09:47 AM
a hybrid approach might be a encryption chip on the laptop motherboard. the service guys can just replace the chip. not the most secure way but half way there ...

Nomad
17-07-2010, 09:49 AM
one of my nokia ph i set a pin number when a simcard was changed over. i was with Voda for many years (contract) until i went prepay - so what was that 3 or 9 pin number again?

yes, you could plug into computer and undo it but the phone was worth less than the cable, plus i dont' have a bluetooth adaptor on my PC.

wratterus
17-07-2010, 11:10 AM
a hybrid approach might be a encryption chip on the laptop motherboard. the service guys can just replace the chip. not the most secure way but half way there ...

Some Toshibas have this. Quite painful!

The Error Guy
17-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Encryption is a laugh. as for taking it in to be repaired, I usually take it straight to HP, its been sent in 3 times over 3 years, 2x keyboard and one PSU problem, each took 2 weeks. Never loved HP support since they told me they wouldn't give me system restore disks to fix my laptop because they had sent out 40 and none had been confirmed delivered. The internet was quick to solve that one but I didn't have much choice. Next time ill buy the parts and install myself. warranty ends soon anyway.

wratterus
17-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Sent 40 recovery disks? Ok....

Alex B
17-07-2010, 03:49 PM
Weird, never usually takes us more than 2 days to get parts and fit them, even if it hasn't been diagnosed over the phone first.

And yes, those TPM are also a PITA.