PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Issue : GTX 280

Tylantia
15-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Hey all o/

Ok the basics :

Month or so ago I had my old GTX 280 die on me, lasted 1 1/2 years (minor scorch mark near where it plugs into the motherboard of all places...) Anywho I found another replacement, instead of EVGA I got a XFX one.

One week later after buying it I experienced random freezing, red lines, "your card has recovered" etc when playing any games (main test is world of warcraft) Now a new card shouldn't be doing this right?

So I tested out multiple drivers to no avail. I decided to test another game, this time ol graphics heavy Dawn of War, it lasted about 3-4 hours and then total system freeze + error message + system locks forcing reboot.

I can't literally play any games at all due to this problem and am having a majorly hard time trying to figure out what its doing..or not doing as the case may be :)

Any help would be appreciated!

Some info:
- Vista 32 SP2
- Intel Quad Core Q9550 2.83GHz processors
- 4GB RAM
- XFX GeForce GTX 280
- DX 11

An error log details:
Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
WD-20100708-1834.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

BCCode: 117
BCP1: 857F2510
BCP2: 8F6E50A8
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 768_1

The above error log is the same for everytime the screen goes all blotchy red/lines/freezes.

The system shouldn't overheat tbh, due to 4 rather large fans everywhere, theres a fair chunk of room between the card and everything else, cables tied away etc.

*pulls hair out*

Trev
15-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Take it back to where you bought it from. Still under warranty. As for the first card you should of taken that back to where you bought it from as will, and if you live in New Zealand you are covered by the CGA.
:)

Speedy Gonzales
15-07-2010, 10:13 AM
And all the drivers you installed, did you uninstall the previous drivers, before you installed the next lot of drivers?? Whats the mobo?

qazwsxokmijn
15-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Just because you don't suspect it could overheat doesn't mean it couldn't. Download GPU-z and see the temperatures the GPU operates in at load.

SolMiester
15-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Hey all o/

Ok the basics :

Month or so ago I had my old GTX 280 die on me, lasted 1 1/2 years (minor scorch mark near where it plugs into the motherboard of all places...) Anywho I found another replacement, instead of EVGA I got a XFX one.

One week later after buying it I experienced random freezing, red lines, "your card has recovered" etc when playing any games (main test is world of warcraft) Now a new card shouldn't be doing this right?

So I tested out multiple drivers to no avail. I decided to test another game, this time ol graphics heavy Dawn of War, it lasted about 3-4 hours and then total system freeze + error message + system locks forcing reboot.

I can't literally play any games at all due to this problem and am having a majorly hard time trying to figure out what its doing..or not doing as the case may be :)

Any help would be appreciated!

Some info:
- Vista 32 SP2
- Intel Quad Core Q9550 2.83GHz processors
- 4GB RAM
- XFX GeForce GTX 280
- DX 11

An error log details:
Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
WD-20100708-1834.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

BCCode: 117
BCP1: 857F2510
BCP2: 8F6E50A8
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 768_1

The above error log is the same for everytime the screen goes all blotchy red/lines/freezes.

The system shouldn't overheat tbh, due to 4 rather large fans everywhere, theres a fair chunk of room between the card and everything else, cables tied away etc.

*pulls hair out*

Can you elaborate on this, photo, what PSU do you have? I suspect your PSU took out the old card hence the scorch marks and the PSU cant power your card under load!

Agent_24
15-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Yeah, PSU brand and model please...

Tylantia
15-07-2010, 11:43 PM
PSU : Corsair 750W (although this has powered my system since november 2008 up until it died in June 2010, with no issues until the latter)
Moboard : Asus P5Q Pro
@Speedy Gonzales : yeps all uninstalled.

Agent_24
15-07-2010, 11:57 PM
Well, since your PSU is a Corsair, it's probably OK, and I would suspect that if the PSU damaged the old card then it (the PSU) would have damage too and probably wouldn't be working as well as it is (if at all!)

Could have been a faulty graphics card by itself, and it could have damaged your motherboard in some way, causing the new card to not work properly...