PDA

View Full Version : Copy damaged Sims2 DVD

b....
14-07-2010, 11:06 PM
My daughter's Sims2 DVD has a small crack near the centre hole. Before it becomes unusable I want to make a backup copy.
What is the best way to do this?
I tried to just copy the contents over to a new folder on the hard drive in Windows Explorer without any luck.
Tried Google for help, but it all seems to be about ripping music and movies not programs.

sahilcc7
14-07-2010, 11:27 PM
Try IMGBurn - it should be able to copy it by creating a image.

wainuitech
14-07-2010, 11:35 PM
As long as its not copy protected, most CD writing software has the option to copy a CD/DVD to another of the same sort (CD or DVD). BUT if its cracked, you HAVE to lower the speed down as low as it will go, other wise you run the risk of the disc exploding even earlier.

Personally I use Ashampoo software-- Easy to use --This here (http://download.cnet.com/Ashampoo-Burning-Studio-Free/3000-2646_4-10776287.html?tag=mncol) is an earlier version thats now free. Will do what you want easily.

bob_doe_nz
15-07-2010, 12:18 AM
Can't you get a return on it? After all, it's a physical fault.

(Assuming less than 30 days since purchase)

autechre
15-07-2010, 09:50 AM
You will struggle to make a copy using normal software as the disc is protected with SafeDisc protection. From what i've seen, you need a Lite-On drive (could possibly work on rebranded ones) and Alcohol 120% (CD emulation software) to be able to make a working copy.
An easier route would be to get the disc replaced or get a no-cd & use that.

Cellux
15-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Imgburn to get the image of the disk.
Daemon tools to emulate the disk drive which you can put the image on. It's a Virtual CD drive.

pctek
15-07-2010, 10:16 AM
Too much hassle, they're all copy protected.

Install the game, then download and install a No-CD on it. Then zip the game folder and copy that onto DVD.

Next time you want it on the PC you just file copy and unzip that over and it works perfectly.

nedkelly
15-07-2010, 11:04 AM
We are allowed to talk about no-cds?

Cellux
15-07-2010, 11:49 AM
They're not illegal, just against some terms of service.

15-07-2010, 11:56 AM
They're not illegal, just against some terms of service.

Actually bypassing/disabling ANY copy protection is illegal in some countries.
However the software companies etc allways claim you are buying a License not a CD, so you could use that as a defense.

no-cd's are cracks, Im sure thats a no-no here. You may get a virus as part of the package as well.

pctek
15-07-2010, 12:54 PM
We are allowed to talk about no-cds?

A no-cd allows you to use the thing without having the disk in your drive. You still have to won it in the first place to install it in the first place.

Agent_24
15-07-2010, 03:30 PM
According to GameCopyWorld, the Sims 2 uses Safedisc 3, which can be copied with Alcohol 120% (http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_protections_safedisc_v3.shtml)

If you want a copy of the DVD, use Alcohol 120% on a slow speed to prevent the disk from shattering. You can get a 30-day trial for free which would be fine.

Alcohol 120% has an inbuilt utility to find out what protection a disc has. Check with this to make sure, then copy the disk using the correct datatype.

This *should* result in a working backup copy, however if for some reason it won't run with the backup, you will still at least be able to install from the backup, and then use a NoCD to run the game as PCTek said

Personally though, I prefer for backup copies to work just like originals.

angry
15-07-2010, 06:52 PM
According to GameCopyWorld, the Sims 2 uses Safedisc 3, which can be copied with Alcohol 120% (http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_protections_safedisc_v3.shtml)

If you want a copy of the DVD, use Alcohol 120% on a slow speed to prevent the disk from shattering. You can get a 30-day trial for free which would be fine.

Personally though, I prefer for backup copies to work just like originals.

if it dosent work like the origonal then its not a good/true back.

b....
15-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.
Hopefully I will get some time over the weekend to try your suggestions.
Cheers.

b....
18-07-2010, 06:32 PM
EBGames had new DVD's for $15 so we bought one instead of trying to copy the old one.

Agent_24
18-07-2010, 06:47 PM
I'm pretty sure Alcohol 120% would have been able to do it, but at least you got another copy anyway