PDA

View Full Version : Sony Vaio - preinstalled soft(bloat?)ware

echothreezero
14-07-2010, 04:43 PM
Hi all,

I have just bought new Sony Vaio. It arrives on Friday.

I've been looking at the specs and they inform me that a whole bunch of software is installed by default when it arrives thus:

Media Gallery
Windows® Media Center
Quick Web Access
PMB VAIO Edition
Adobe® Premiere® Elements 8
Adobe® Photoshop® Elements 8
Roxio Easy Media Creator
VAIO Media plus
60-Day Trial Version of Microsoft® Office Professional 2007
Evernote for VAIO, Adobe® Reader® 9
VAIO Gate
VAIO Control Center
Battery Care Function
WebCam Companion
Magic-i™ Visual Effects
McAfee PC SecurityCenter 30-day Free Trial
Webroot® Spy Sweeper® 90-day Free Trial
VAIO Care
VAIO Recovery Center
VAIO Update
VAIO Transfer Support
Norton™ Online Backup 60-day Free Trial

That's 23 bits of software I'm not sure I really need.

As I see it there are 2 media libraries/servers - Windows Media Centre and VAIO Media Plus, 4 trial versions of software I don't want, more double-ups of photo-editing and organising suites, control panel applets that windows already has, and so on.

The only items I can see of value are:

Windows® Media Center, maybe PMB, Evernote, maybe VAIO Gate, and maybe VAIO Recovery Centre.

Question - when this thing arrives, how easy is it to clear all of the crap off and start with a nice, fresh version of Windows???

Anyone else think this is a ridiculous amount of extra crap to be pre-loading? And I'm sure there'll be other bits and pieces on there that they haven't listed.

Cheers,

Graham

Speedy Gonzales
14-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Well you dont need these

Roxio Easy Media Creator

60-Day Trial Version of Microsoft® Office Professional 2007

McAfee PC SecurityCenter 30-day Free Trial

Webroot® Spy Sweeper® 90-day Free Trial

Norton™ Online Backup 60-day Free Trial

Uninstall them. Since it'll probably have a restore partition, there's no point in using restore. They'll come back. Only way to get rid of them completely, is to reinstall windows from another windows cd/dvd. But then if you dont have a cd/dvd, you'll have to buy it first. Why do you think people build their own desktops??

echothreezero
14-07-2010, 05:11 PM
Yeah. A desktop won't fit in my backpack though. :-P

I've built the odd desktop system over the years, but these days all I need is a decent laptop. I just want to buy an off the shelf item that works (mac fanboys take your hands back off your keyboards).

But I still want to remove the bloat if possible, hence the thread.

It'd be nice if they put it all on a CD and you could optionally install selected items at your discretion.

Snorkbox
14-07-2010, 05:15 PM
So install Revo and uninstall everything you don't need. Then make an image which can be restored at a later date if you need to.

Do it before you start cluttering the new Laptop.

echothreezero
14-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Yeah, I planned to image once I was done.

Thanks for the idea about Revo - I had forgotten about that bit of software. Interestingly as a side note, last time I used Revo, I ran CCleaner afterward and it found a fair bit of crap Revo missed. So not as good as they claim it to be.

Any Vaio owners out there been down this track and know of anything I can't uninstall without causing problems?? I know when I tried to clean out my old Acer when I bought it, I had to reinstall a fair bit of it for the soft buttons on the keyboard, and some hardware (drivers part of software) to work.

Cellux
14-07-2010, 06:06 PM
That annoying bar on the top that wobbles around is a good thing to remove. imo, it's just a frustrating piece of software.

Everything speedy recommended is a good idea.

Protip: Look at the retail prices of
Adobe® Premiere® Elements 8 http://www.adobe.com/products/premiereel/
Adobe® Photoshop® Elements 8 http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/
and you might want to keep them, even if you don't use them.

zqwerty
14-07-2010, 07:52 PM
http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

Read up about it before you use.