PDA

View Full Version : New desktop - suggestions please?

R.M.
13-07-2010, 07:20 PM
I plan to get a new desktop. My current use/needs are:

Photography - I want to use Photoshop CS5.
I transcribe audio tapes into mp3 format with line in from a tape recorder.
I put together slideshows in ProShow Gold/PicturesToExe.
I do the computer stuff at Club nights ie sort out and show the various presentations.
I look after the Database, Newsletter and emails in/out for the Club.
I have 4 external HDDs for backups etc.

I have a Zalman HDD cooler in my present setup, which makes life a lot quieter (the 'puter lives in the corner of the sitting room/kitchen area).

I think I want Computerlounge to put this together for me. I think my present monitor will do (19" Samsung). I will need a new 'Natural' keyboard. And lots of usb connections....

So - there you are. I looked at Computerlounge Gamers Rig and wondered.

Also wonder about which OS - or rather, which version of Windows 7. Do I need 64bit?

So - have fun here! All suggestions gratefully received with thanks.:help:

:) R.M.

stormdragon
13-07-2010, 07:28 PM
What's your budget?

By "natural" keyboard do you mean one of those ergonomic ones?

R.M.
13-07-2010, 07:48 PM
What's your budget?

By "natural" keyboard do you mean one of those ergonomic ones?

$2500ish, and yes, ergonomic (l learnt to touch type on that sort of keyboard...).

Nomad
13-07-2010, 07:48 PM
I do a bit of photog with my club :D let's do a club battle :p

Re: photography wise.
I would go for 64bit, the OS is the same price as 32bit. Adobe Photoshop CS5 will support 64bit, I have CS4 and Lightroom 2 which both support that too.

Good that you have plenty of backups lol. I only have 2 internals and 1 external.

I would go with 4GB of RAM for now.
For the processor, I got mine early last year, a Quad and I feel that I am under utilising it.

I know a few members who have their (1) PC as a laptop. That works too.
You may want something faster if you are a part time portrait photographer with clients (doing larger quantities).

:)

R.M.
13-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Nomad - I'm pleased you replied, hoped you might!

I DON'T want a lappy as my main 'puter. I have one that I take to Club and find the keyboard awkward. I also like my calibrated monitor on my desktop.

The current HDDs - one is an IDE that I will set up as another external. The other is a SATA that I would like to put in the new 'puter when I get it.

I am not a paid photographer - I currently work full time in a health profession - but am close to retirement. So I need to make the most of my money while I'm still earning and have most of my marbles! :D

Nomad
13-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Umm .. your budget is very generous - alright now running away :p

Not much to add. Maybe if you are into the outdoors I say to people treat yourself and possibly your other half to a photography trip even overseas.

Some club members have a Mac - not the Mac Pro which is a Dual Core and they seem happy enough.

R.M.
13-07-2010, 08:48 PM
No-one has made any comment on cooling... Quiet is important. The current one was very noisy until I had the Zalman HDD cooler put in, but see that is now old technology.

I forgot to mention (and I don't think it matters) but I also run 2 printer, 1 scanner and a Wacom tablet....

Any comments about the line input? Is that available on all desktops?

Nomad
13-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Something like a i5 processor might be ideal.
For your devices check the drivers before you dwell into the OS - that they are available.

Yes, I think all mobo these days have line in.
Re: quietness - I'll let someone else address that.

BBCmicro
13-07-2010, 10:38 PM
I too am into photography and wanted a quiet PC. I got the following from ComputerLounge a couple of months ago:

CPU = i5-750
Cooler = Freezer 7 Pro-2 (but the cooler that comes with the i5 is pretty quiet)
Mobo = GA-P55A-UD4 (has an IDE port, also USB-3)
Graphics = ATI 5450 (passive = quiet; has 3 outputs)
OS = Win 7 Pro 64-bit ("pro" was a waste of money; "XPmode" = not worth it)
Case = Enermax Chakra (has 250mm fan in side, = quiet)
RAM = 8 GB of DDR3, 1333MHz (for loading lots of large TIFFs)

Personally I don't like to have internal harddrives for security reasons. They're also hard to swap and they use up drive letters... so I have a pair of external eSATA docks instead. (and 10 drives that I jostle between them). Also have some eSATA enclosures

GameJunkie
13-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Personally I don't like to have internal harddrives for security reasons. They're also hard to swap and they use up drive letters... so I have a pair of external eSATA docks instead. (and 10 drives that I jostle between them). Also have some eSATA enclosures

having them in external eSATA docks makes them more secure how??

they'd be easier for someone to steal would'nt they???

SolMiester
13-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Isnt CS5 going to be CUDA enabled?.....in which case a nice Geforce card would be better

Nomad
13-07-2010, 11:15 PM

i struggle for enough power jacks as it is :p
or tripping over them myself.
cannot imagine how one can coordinate 10 of them.

Nomad
13-07-2010, 11:16 PM
Isnt CS5 going to be CUDA enabled?.....in which case a nice Geforce card would be better

With CS4 a video card is better i read but it doesn't need to be a truly muscle one.

R.M.
14-07-2010, 08:18 AM
I too am into photography and wanted a quiet PC. I got the following from ComputerLounge a couple of months ago:

CPU = i5-750
Cooler = Freezer 7 Pro-2 (but the cooler that comes with the i5 is pretty quiet)
Mobo = GA-P55A-UD4 (has an IDE port, also USB-3)
Graphics = ATI 5450 (passive = quiet; has 3 outputs)
OS = Win 7 Pro 64-bit ("pro" was a waste of money; "XPmode" = not worth it)
Case = Enermax Chakra (has 250mm fan in side, = quiet)
RAM = 8 GB of DDR3, 1333MHz (for loading lots of large TIFFs)

Thanks - that's the sort of info I'm looking for. Are you telling me that Win 7 Home Premium is enough? That the extras in Pro aren't worth while?

And may I be personal here - how much? :)

R.M.
14-07-2010, 08:20 AM
With CS4 a video card is better i read but it doesn't need to be a truly muscle one.

My understanding from reading a photographers' site is that yes, a video card with CS5 is necessary but doesn't need to be a top of the line gaming one (although it would impress my sons!). :)

pctek
14-07-2010, 08:50 AM
No-one has made any comment on cooling... Quiet is important. The current one was very noisy until I had the Zalman HDD cooler put in, but see that is now old technology.

I forgot to mention (and I don't think it matters) but I also run 2 printer, 1 scanner and a Wacom tablet....

Why not have a talk with CL? They know what they're talking about.
Coolers - you'd need to look them up and see what the dBA is on them. I don't have a problem with the stock cooler though - unless you're planning on overclocking?

As for the scanner and tablet, drivers may be the issue here.

I'd go 64bit for sure, but you need to check if they will run OK on it.

SolMiester
14-07-2010, 09:47 AM

eh?....we are talking CUDA on the graphic card, not graphic draw of the app!

http://www.nvidia.com/object/adobe_PremiereproCS5.html

autechre
14-07-2010, 10:02 AM
If you're serious about your photography, you may need a better monitor. Chances are your 19" is a TN panel - cheapest type with poor colour reproduction.
Unfortunately NZ doesn't have many suppliers of these around, but Dell & HP have a few. They're not cheap though.

utopian201
14-07-2010, 11:44 AM
If you're serious about your photography, you may need a better monitor. Chances are your 19" is a TN panel - cheapest type with poor colour reproduction.
Unfortunately NZ doesn't have many suppliers of these around, but Dell & HP have a few. They're not cheap though.

HP have a 24" IPS 1920x1200 for $545 (ZR24W)

wratterus
14-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks - that's the sort of info I'm looking for. Are you telling me that Win 7 Home Premium is enough? That the extras in Pro aren't worth while?

And may I be personal here - how much? :)

BBC Micro's build would be perfect for you. If you wanted to save a few $$ you could drop back to 4GB RAM and lose the aftermarket cooler.

R.M.
14-07-2010, 06:08 PM
BBC Micro's build would be perfect for you. If you wanted to save a few $$ you could drop back to 4GB RAM and lose the aftermarket cooler.

We had one of those in the house at one stage....

R.M.
14-07-2010, 06:10 PM
[QUOTE=pctek;930233]Why not have a talk with CL? They know what they're talking about.
QUOTE]

That is my next plan...

And yes, I'll do some research on drivers too. Suspect I may be going with the 32 bit option.

Nomad
18-07-2010, 11:49 AM
R.M

I just set up photography on my Windows 7 OS. I have a Spyder 2 Express calibrator, what I have seen with WinXP and Win7 is that my printer performs better with certain papers using the printer's included ICC files. I am looking into profiling my printer after I get to try out a photographer friend's monitor calibrator.

What have your experience been? Have your profiled your printer?

R.M.
18-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Well, yes I did profile my printer, but then decided that my previous settings were giving me more accurate prints. I SHOULD have pursued it with the person I bought the profile from, but didn't... :(

I use Color Management from within Photoshop - AdobeRGB(1998) - and then the settings for Canon paper. I think you might use Red River paper from the States, or I might have you muddled up with someone else. If that's you, I wouldn't mind having a private chat to you about that.

I use Spyder 3Elite 3.1.3 to calibrate my monitor though.

I should add, my computer is still on XP Pro - I have Windows7 on my laptop, but don't use that for printing.

Nomad
18-07-2010, 03:00 PM
I use Epson paper ;)

I have a Spyder 2 Express, Epson printer, Epson paper profiles, Epson paper. WinXP and Win7 I get good results with matte but a bit darker with Luster, maybe a bit more with Semi Gloss.

I am in the process of trying someone's monitor calibrator and see if that improves it. Also thought about profiling a printer.

How close are your prints to your monitor now?

I have ProPhotoRGB or something like that, has a bit more gamut than AdobeRGB. I just use Lightroom, seldom PS now. I enable ICM in LR and disable it in the print driver.

:)

BBCmicro
18-07-2010, 10:31 PM

When leaving the house I take out the current drive from the dock and hide it.

This leaves the computer with just the one internal drive - for OS and apps. The burglar can have that.

I am a bit paranoid about other people's photos and videos (entrusted to me while I'm working on them) get into unauthorised hands

It takes just one second, literally, to remove the drive containing their data (if the computer is off)